Chapter 28: The Last Straight Line

Miserain PoV

No one could understand what was happening. Everything happened way so fast it felt surrealist. The sky that should be blue without a single cloud and a bright sun was replaced by a red sky, filled with dark clouds caused by smoke.

The buildings that should be standing, that were the pride and joy of the ones who designed them were collapsed, destroyed, burning from the bottom to the top.

The streets that should be filled with laughers and smiles were dead silent. The only things that could be heard were the bombs that were currently being dropped, as well as their explosions.

I couldn't move from the center of the road, as I watched everything burn, turning into nothingness with wide eyes. Looking at my hands and body, I noticed I was no older than ten.

But my attention was immediately attracted in front of me, not even twenty meters away, was a boy who looked the same age as me crying and screaming with all his might as he was holding what I could identify as a body from where I was.

I couldn't describe it as the boy had his back turned to me. The only thing I could see was his short, pitch-black hair. Suddenly, the boy violently turned his head towards me, his back still facing me. His eyes were red from crying, but the thing that surprised me was the pure hatred and rage that he was showing me.

He yelled at me but I couldn't hear a thing. As if his anger was personified, the fire around us grew stronger and deadlier, the explosions becoming fiercer, the ground trembling as if it was agreeing with him. 

And then he simply turned his face to look at the body he was holding. That's when I couldn't anything anymore. No, that's not it. I simply blocked all the information, because, in front of the boy, a bomb landed, still waiting to trigger.

Desespratly, I tried to reach him. He was too far and yet my hand tried to reach him. He didn't even try to escape. He just wrapped himself around the body, even though his end was near, even though that person was already dead, he was still protecting it. That alone proved that he cared deeply about that person.

And then the bomb detonated.

The boy was immersed in a torrent of flames until a bright white light took place. A light that started to consume everything, inevitably reaching me.  My breathing became harsh as if the light was destroying my lungs, and my vision darkened.

The next thing I know, I was sitting in a bed, breathing heavily, gripping the bedsheet hard, like they were going to leave me. 

Putting a hand on my cheek, I came to a realization.

 "A dream" was all I could mutter. But it was not a simple dream. It was a memory. A memory from my universe, my home.

That boy, who lost everything, who died at such a young age, who couldn't do anything but accept his fate.

The only reason I was still alive was thanks to my father, who gifted me my own Star Fragment. 

To not let other children stumble upon the same fate as that boy, I vowed to myself that I would protect those who could not, no matter their universe. But I was not strong enough. And a new threat appeared, threatening the whole multiverse. 

I'm aware of my sins. And I'll take them to my grave and beyond. But I do believe that it's better to let perish a few universes to let thousands survive.

With my eyes filled with determination and yet still cold and emotionless, I got up and looked at the mirror that was next to my bed.  It was big enough to show my black nightgown, that reached the middle of my thighs, and my long sky blue hair that reached past my knees.