11| Recruiters and Recruitees

Chenelle sat in her gleaming yellow chariot, happily chowing down on a delicious deluxe cheeseburger from Freckle B's. The oversized burger barely fit in her tiny delicate hands, but it would certainly fit in her stomach. Once she swallowed the chunck of burger she was munching on, she took a mighty sip of Sprite.

"These serving sizes are ridiculous!" Chenelle commented to herself before taking another bite of her burger. Just as she was halfway through chewing, The Dream's Shawty Is A 10 began playing loudly. Chenelle paused mid-chew to see Rascal's face take over her whole screen. She exhaled sharply through her nose in what she wanted to be her sucking her teeth, picked up her phone, and slid her finger across the smooth screen. She then brought the phone up to her ear and spoke.

"Yes Rascal?" she uttered out as best she could.

"Are you eating?" Rascal asked. "Actually, nevermind. Now the girl you're looking for is usually hanging out with a group of guys smoking and playing hacky sack just outside a laundromat in the Trailer Park district. She'll be the only dread hippy-hoe; shouldn't be hard to spot."

Chenelle was chewing as he talked, and finally swallowed in order to speak clearly again.

"What am I supposed to say? 'We want YOU to join our gang!'?" Chenelle inquired, shrugging her shoulders as if he could see her. Rascal chuckled.

"Cute, but do whatever you need to convince her. The boss's pal Carlos said she'd be willing to. Shouldn't be hard. Anyway, I gotta go. Pierce is being bitchy again."

"I'm not being a bitch!" she heard Pierce yell in the background before Rascal hung up. She began to rapidly finish her burger and soda before heading towards the trailers.

She cruised towards the laundromat and saw exactly what she hope to see: a dreadhead playing hacky sack with a bunch of guys. Chenelle parked her bug and exited the car, firstly throwing out her trash. She examined the dreadhead girl. She expected the girl to be black for some reason, but was surprised to see the girl was white, and was also surprised to see she had such lovely locks. The girl was cutely short, and wore a dark grey spaghetti strap crop top with faded purple, and awfully tight, bellbottom denim jeans. The bell of the jeans failed to fully cover her old Converses, which were thinned out to the point of breakage. Bringing her eyes back up to her face, Chenelle noticed the chick had a stud under her bottom lip. She looked oddly familar, and if the chick didn't look the way she did, Chenelle would've mistaken her for a high school student.

The girl laughed with the guys as they passed the sack back and forth between each other. Suddenly, one of the guys kicked the colorful bag towards her. Not having much time to act on the action, Chenelle snatched the bag out the air. The group immediately stopped and stared at her.

Chenelle pointed to the dreadhead.

"You. You're coming with me."

The girl glanced back and forth between her friends, who gave her no answer. Finally, she shrugged and said, "Okay."

She waved goodbye to her friends and followed Chenelle back to her yellow bug.

"Nice ride." The girl commented as she sat down. "I haven't seen anybody driving these around town. You new?"

Chenelle started the car before shaking her head.

"I been here my whole life." Chenelle responded.

"Really? How come I've never seen you before?"

"Well, my dad never brought me to this side of town. I only knew half of Stilwater for most of my life."

The girl looked surprised.