21| The Night Shift

From Boss:
73 Front Street Apt. 2

Chenelle looked at the apartment again to make sure she was in the right place before she shut off her car. She had waited a couple of minutes after Pierce and the boss left before she left the headquarters as well. She didn't know what Carlos wanted to talk about since she hasn't spoken to him after that meeting with Maero.

Slightly nervous, she knocked on the door and awaited an answer. A cool autumn breeze pushed her messy hair out of her face. She sucked her teeth and felt around her head. She had tangles and dryness all around.

"Shit..." she mumbled. She hasn't been taking care of her hair as well as herself.

Carlos opened the door a few seconds later and Chenelle stepped into a well designed basement apartment. It was tiny and cramped, but it had (mostly) everything one would need. A queen sized bed, fresh and untouched, was wedged into the corner of the room decorated with a cushion head board. Something was laying on the bed, but she didn't pay attention to it. The boss had a 40 inch plasma screen TV that took up half of the wall complete with surround sound. In front of it were two red velvet arm chairs with a stand in between. She wasn't surprised the kitchen was tiny, which only had a stove, a fridge, two counters, a sink and a few overhead cabinets.

"You like this?" Carlos finally spoke, snapping her out of her little daze. Chenelle half smiled.

"I never been in such a place." she shrugged, eying the small bathroom at the back of the room. A safe stood right next to the door.

"Well, this is only temporarily. The boss says after he gets a few more guns and cars for the crew, he'll rent another place." Carlos said in his thick Spanish accent as he grabbed a newspaper from off the kitchen counter. He flipped through a couple of pages before handing it to Chenelle. Chenelle eyed Carlos curiously before peering down at the newspaper article.

Local mechanic sabotages clients
Witnesses say a recent string of car explosions may be due to tampering by a local mechanic. Shortly before a string of incidents left members of the Brotherhood dead, an eyewitness was quoted as seeing a mechanic, known only as "Donnie" tampering with the vehicles while being overseen by someone fitting the descripton of the Third Street Saints leader. Phone calls to Donnie's Garage were not immediately returned.

"When was this?" Chenelle frowned, handing the newspaper back to Carlos.

"About two days ago." He replied. He tossed the newspaper onto the counter. "After that meeting with Maero, he went after Donnie."

She squinted at him. "He was that Asian guy, right? The boss was staring at him."

Carlos gave her a thumbs up.

"Correct." Carlos jumped up and scooted onto the countertop. "After he dismissed us, he went after Donnie."

"So what are we supposed to do about it?" Chenelle asked, slightly confused about what they have to do with this. She didn't even know the boss went on a mini rampage until now! At least he keeps himself busy... But does he even sleep?!

"Before Gat went down, he told me he had another plan to get payback on Maero, but as you can see, he hasn't been doing much lately since Gat's been in..." Carlos seemed to be down about the whole ordeal too. She hasn't been around him that much, but he seemed like a loyal homeboy. She was still bothered by it too. She's seen Aisha get decapitated for crying out loud! She was surprised she was able to sleep at Pierce's place that night.

"So... What was his plan?" Chenelle pressed on. Carlos snapped out of his depression and looked up in thought.

"Well..." Carlos bit his lip briefly. "We were on the train and the boss was looking at the nuclear plant, but he didn't say anything. He just left, but Shaundi called me later that day and told me the boss was sulking in the old missionary."