33| Rebound

Easygoing rap music droned through the speakers of the car. The car itself vibrated gently to the rhythm of the beat. He could feel the music flowing through him and touching his disoriented soul. He pulled his blunt away from his chapped lips and hovered it over the ash tray, tapped it twice, and watched the pale ash fall into the tray intently whilst licking his lips. He peered over at her dull, gloomy house.

     The lively wildflowers that once thrived had since wilted and died away. The grass was no longer green, adopting a more colorless hue. The current overcast soured the bright cheeriness of the once happy home, making him more reluctant to go visit. He hoped the gang didn't take his disappearance into their regards. Coming here was the only thing he could do, the only thing he had to do. Seeing Pierce and Chenelle so close like how he used to be just made him want to slaughter Pierce, and that was his best friend, he didn't want to feel this way.

     He had to make things go back to how they used to be prior to their friendship. Rascal, as well as the others, could see the attraction they had for each other. It was only a matter of time before they acted on it. It should've been him, Rascal, who was the focus of her attention. He's been after her longer than Pierce has been around, yet as soon as they agree to be friends, they have a childish crush on each other?

     The song faded out and a new beat replaced it, one that made him feel more angry and irritated towards the circumstance. He yanked his key out of the ignition and exited his car. When he came to her front door, he felt hesitant all over again. Maybe this wasn't the right thing to do, he thought. He was just about ready to turn around and leave when he heard the locks on the door clicking. Mentally, he cursed to himself.

     The door gradually opened, revealing a washed out version of Trinity. For a moment, she looked excited to see him, but that brightness promptly faded and dimmed. Her lips parted to speak, mumbling, "Why are you here?"

     "Let me in and you'll find out," He replied.

     "Why should I? You haven't been here since—"

     "It's cold, and I'm already irritated. Don't add to that, please."

     She stared at him for a moment before her eyes fell to the floor. She stepped out of the way and allowed for him to enter. Her house was still as clean as always, but the fulfillment it once gave off was gone. He could see old memories of them screwing around in the house replaying right on front of him, the sounds of their grunts and groans loudly echoing in his ear before the vision faded away. For a moment, he felt his sins crawling up his back.

     "Sorry for the mess," she apologized, heading towards the couch she had been sleeping on. She picked up the fleece blanket bunched up on the bed and began folding it. Meanwhile, Rascal took note of the movies scattered all over the coffee table, along with endless empty boxes of ice cream and tissue. Looking closer at the titles of the movies, he reconciled the time Chenelle told him about these flicks. They were her favorites, all of them.

     "Why won't you just talk to her?" He proposed. Trinity paused and clutched the blanket tightly in her arms as if it were a teddy bear.

     "She's not going to want to speak to me after what I've done..." She mumbled softly, gazing at the movies. "I messed up everything we had; me, her, and Pierce. There's no way I can fix this now."

     Rascal seated himself on the couch and leaned back into the backrest, throwing one leg over the other and stretching his arms along the width of the frame. "That's kind of why I came here," he grinned slightly, "I think I know how we can fix all this."

Her eyes briefly kindled before her mistrust grew. She squinted at him. "What's the catch?"

He scoffed. "No catch. You get yo boy, and I get my girl. It's as simple as that."

She folded her arms over her chest. "Why should I trust you?"

     "Because you caused this."

She thought it over for a brief moment, placing the blanket on the couch and sitting on the armrest. Rascal already knew she'd agree with him. Though she's bright, she's weak. She'd agree to anything that got her life back to the norm. Change wasn't her thing, it made her feel insecure about what's going on. She glimpsed at him with afflicted eyes.

     "Alright," she said, "I'll do it."

✝