38| Handle with Care

"Check it out, I got some more dirt on the shipment."

     "That's awes—" A rapid beep cut him off, indicating somebody else was currently trying to reach him. The boss readjusted the position of the phone on his ear. "Gimme a second, Pierce, someone's callin'..." He accepted the other call and bid them a greeting.

Shaundi's groggy voice came through the receiver. "Okay, I just got some more info on Maero's shipment."

The boss grunted.

     "Maero's bought enough guns to take over... something that needs a lot of guns to take over. The point is that if you get to the cargo hold, you should find some nice toys to play with."

     "Shaundi, remind me to buy you some shrooms," the boss grinned happily. She let out a dry laugh before she hung up, and the boss took Pierce off of hold.

     "You there?" Pierce called out. "Maero's got a shit ton of ammo stashed in the—"

     "I know all about it, Pierce, Shaundi gave me an update."

Pierce sucked his teeth. "Are you fuckin' kidding me? I'm the one who told Shaundi about it!"

     "Uh-huh," the boss clicked his tongue, "Girls don't like jealous boys, you gotta relax." Pierce rambled in his ear while he listened vaguely. For a brawny thug such as himself, he sure did complain a lot. He begun second-guessing what Chenelle saw in him. He didn't comprehend where the attraction came from. Ben didn't either. The boss took the phone out from the cradle of his neck, his eyes glued on the jet ski bobbing alongside the old wooden dock. The boss interrupted Pierce's tirade. "Mhm, we'll talk about this later, I'm 'bout to head off."

     He hung up before Pierce could respond. Knowing how him and his mood swings work, he would've had more to say than a simple goodbye. He sent a group text to some of his members ordering for them to pick up his car while he boarded the jet ski, then headed towards the coordinates Shaundi had sent him earlier. His heavy windbreaker wasn't enough to fend off the brisk winds that seemingly swarmed atop the keen waves. He brushed it off and pulled the strings attached to his hood, tightening the material around his cranium. Seven minutes into his journey, he spotted the cargo ship cruising alone the horizon. He didn't have a particular plan in mind, as always; his immediate goal was to find a way into the ship on the chance of staying undetected.

     He rounded the ship until he spotted a ladder attached to the side. Parting with the jet ski, he latched onto the ladder and climbed up, and when he nested the top, he peeked his head up to scan the perimeter. Security was light on the main deck, which had four of them surrounding a helicopter and three others roaming around the bow. This couldn't be it, though, there had to be more crawling inside the ship.

     Incoming footsteps caused him to drop his head back down. A shadow paused in front of the ladder, and not taking any chances, the boss grabbed the figure by his ankle and pulled him off the edge of the platform. The cry the man let out as he fell overboard was cut by the sound of a splash. Voices from above told him his improvised plan to to be sneaky failed, and it was back to square one.

He fully boarded the ship, drew his pistol from his belt, and took out all the men on top of the deck. Lucky for him, they were terrible shots and he decided to play it smart and wear a bulletproof vest under his clothes. An alarm began to go off, telling him the guards inside the ship heard the commotion and are most likely waiting for him to enter. The Brotherhood wasn't too far behind, he needed to get to the stash and fast.

     The claustrophobic corridors, along with the swaying of the ship, made him feel nauseous. He held onto his stomach and pressed on, ignoring the sickening feeling in his gut. A reload and six bodies later, he found the abundant supply of ammunition and weapons Maero had ordered. He could see why this was so important; he ordered enough weapons to supply an army—his army.