Chapter 16: Tokyo No.1: Nana & Megumi VS Reggie Star

Nana's POV

After changing back to our usual school uniforms, Megumi, Yuji, and I made our way toward the Tokyo No.1 barrier wall in order to officially enter the Culling Game.

"We need to beware of incarnated sorcerers from the past..." I stated out, staring up at the barrier in front of us.

"I couldn't agree more. But explain it to me, Nana." Yuji responded back with a serious look on his face, causing Megumi to deadpan at him.

"You don't get it, huh?" the ravenette boy muttered under his breath.

"Some are from 1000 years ago... but even people from 100 or 200 years ago valued life differently. Plus they are sorcerers. Fighting to death used to be a normal thing. In fact, they desired it. That may be why they entered into contracts with Kenjaku. It's entirely possible that Kashimo and Higuruma are past sorcerers. So don't expect any negotiations. But a modern-day sorcerer embroiled in this like Tsumiki would probably be happy to exchange information." I explained to him the whole situation.

"So aside from them, the cursed spirits are the most aggressive ones." Yuji pointed out.

"Especially at night." Megumi chimed in, slightly nodding his head before our Kogane popped out in front of us.

"Hi! I'm a Kogane. Inside this barrier, a lethal contest called the Culling game has begun. Step inside and you too become a player!! Are you willing to enter?!" Kogane asked.

"Yeah, no problem." Megumi replied.

"Nana Osaki and Megumi Fushiguro have joined the Culling game. Would you like to consult the rules?" Kogane asked again.

"No, that isn't necessary." Megumi replied while I shook my head in response before Megumi turned to face us again. "Itadori, Nana... First, we need information on Higuruma. Let's go."

"Yeah!!" Yuji and I responded back with determination before the three of us stepped into the barrier.

But just before I could even get the chance to realize what was going on, I found myself free-falling towards the ground with Megumi and Yuji nowhere to be seen beside me.

"Guh?! Where are Megumi and Yuji?!" I asked myself in confusion before quickly summoning out my Rashomon to protect myself from getting hurt.

When a player passes through a Culling game barrier, the game randomly transfers that player to one of nine established locations. According to an unofficial barrier rule that came about, certain individuals are positioned at those nine locations. They target players confused by phenomena that aren't addressed in the rules. And they pick off the newbies.

Giving up on finding Megumi and Yuji at that moment, I began to prepare myself for the landing when I noticed an unknown ravenette girl probably around my age or maybe even older than me, standing on the ground with her scorpion-tail-looking hair pointing in my direction, ready to attack me with that sharp edge looking like a stinger.

"Hellflame: Cremation!"

Wasting on time, I immediately blasted out a huge wave of blue flames in her direction, forcing her to step out of my way before she fell hard on the ground while I made a safe landing all thanks to my Rashomon beast.

"Damn it! We unexpectedly got split up!" I muttered under my breath, looking around to see if I could find the two boys. "If I can't locate them then this Culling game colony spans an area far larger than Shibuya. We could be over 2 kilometers apart. But we all know what to look for... Wherever they are I hope both of them are okay..."

"Ouch!" the unknown girl yelped out in pain through her gritted teeth, holding a hand onto her swollen red cheek and I snapped out of my trance before looking back at her. "That hurt you know! Why would you do that?"