Heartbreak

"You look amazing." I told my best friend.

Bella was nervous as she looked at her reflection in the mirror. Her hands slid over the pattern of her wedding dress, her chest lifting and lowering in time with her slow breathing. Her makeup was done to perfection, hair in a low bun with two braids styled on either side of her head.

My heart sank, knowing the gorgeous woman was not walking down the aisle to me. She wasn't about to say her vows to me, her smile wasn't because she was so happy to be committing the rest of her life to me. The hurt was never ending, having to watch the one you love be utterly in love with another.

In Bella's defense, she gave me an out regarding all of this. I'd come clean about my feelings over a year ago and when she told me about her engagement, she actually looked guilty. She was that kind of person, always ready to put others first.

We'd stopped being friends for a few months after I confessed and it was my decision. I needed space to deal with my broken heart and loss of my friend in the long run. My way of healing wasn't exactly the healthiest, and it obviously didn't work since I was standing here still pining over the blonde.

Her soft brown eyes looked at me through the mirror and her expression changed into one of sadness. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" I feigned ignorance. "Smile, Belle, it's your wedding day. The bride shouldn't be anything but happy."

I walked over and stood behind her, hands on her bare shoulders. Her skin felt warm and inviting under my palms, too much for my fragile heart. For a brief moment, I allowed my mind to wander. We looked good together, our skin tones contrasting yet complimenting the other. I was taller, especially in my heeled dressing shoes. Bella's small height was helped by heels too, but she was still shorter and my chin could easily rest on her head. The red suit I wore seemed to fit well with the white and I, not for the first time, wished it was our wedding day.

"You know why. I'm sorry I hurt you." She sighed and turned around. "You don't have to be here, Mac. I know this is killing you."

My head dipped lower by instinct before I stopped myself. "You're still my best friend and it's your wedding day. I'm not missing this." My heart had never been more disappointed in me.

"I won't hold it against you." She tried again.

"Belle," I cupped her face despite myself. "My kind, sweet, loving, Belle. It's my choice to be here."

She nodded and smiled a bit. "You were always too good for this world, Mackenzie Jace."

But not good enough for you.

"Shall we get you to your groom?" I smirked.

"I can't believe-" she abruptly stopped, a guilty look replacing the pure joy that showed before.

"Say it." I gently ordered. "Tell me how you feel."

"Mac, I think you should call my dad in now."

"Say it."

The blonde looked down, speaking after some hesitance. "I can't believe I'm about to marry the love of my life."

"And?" I needed to hear it, my heart was too stubborn to understand what my mind already knew.

"I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him." She clenched her jaw. "Don't make me say more. Don't make me hurt you more than I already did."