Chapter Two

Mackenzie

I stared at the ceiling from my single bed. I could hear Paul shifting around on his next to me and it made me look over. He grunted in pain and I chuckled at the faces he made. Captain pushed us hard on our training drills today and I felt my own body sore. This might be a small town, but the man took pride in his duties.

"Can I ask you something, Mac?" He asked after something between a groan and cry.

I moved my eyes back to the ceiling. "Sure."

"Why did you move to this town where nothing happens? I heard you were a fucking lunatic up in city. Why come to Crystal Valley?" He asked quietly and I felt his eyes on me.

"I needed a change." I answered, placing a hand under my head while the other laid on my stomach.

Paul made a weird sound in his throat before he confessed.  "I'm afraid of heights."

My head whipped in his direction. "You're afraid of heights?"

"Yes, ma'am." He slowly sat up and clutched the ends of the bed with his hands.

I sat too, mirroring his position. "You're a firefighter."

The young man laughed. "I know, but when I joined I only had one thing on my mind. To make my granddad proud. He was this town's hero way back when. You heard about the Mills fire years ago?" I nodded. "He saved fifteen people that night. He had one wish, for my dad to follow in his legacy from generations before. My father chose to abandon and shame his family instead. He left me and my mom when I was six because alcohol was more important. Mom died when I was thirteen and grandpa raised me on his own after. So yeah, I'm terrified of heights but here I am." He grinned childishly, showing his age of twenty one.

I gave him a small smile in gratitude. "Thanks for telling me. I'm sure he's proud of you."

"It's not for free. I gave you my sob story and when you're ready, tell me yours. You know, the real reason you came to our little town." He laid back down.

I sighed. "My sob story isn't that extreme. I fell for my best friend and after I watched her get married, I needed a change. I knew Bella since I was five and this is me figuring out a life that doesn't involve her. She's living her 'happily ever after' and I'm searching for mine." I shrugged at Paul as his eyes found mine.

He whistled lowly. "Dude, you think that happiness is here?"

"I don't know. I'll search until I find it." My back hit the mattress again with a soft groan leaving me.

"I'll help." He stated. "I'm good at helping. I'll help."

"Oh, yeah? I'll take all the help I can get, buddy."

I heard a yawn. "Good, getting help is good. I'm gonna close my eyes for a bit."

With both hands behind my head, I relished in the pain my body felt. It almost matched the pain in my heart and I patiently waited for the day physical pain overcame the emotional one.

~●~

I had my usual protein shake in the morning and jogged the three miles of the gym, wallet, phone and keys in my hoodie pockets. When I opened the door, I immediately spotted the familiar face behind the reception desk.

The same woman from the bar, only instead of a tight top and fitted jeans, she wore a polo shirt with the gym's logo. I couldn't see the rest of her outfit, but I noticed she wore less make-up than at the bar as her short wavy hair rested on her shoulders.