Chapter Nineteen

Mackenzie

My knee bounced in both nervousness and anticipation.

It was three days after I kissed Thalia, three days after she slept over at my place a second time. That night she took the sofa again, even after all my begging for her to have the bed. I left her with a blanket and pillow, and a kiss on the cheek.

We didn't spend the entire night watching movies as before, but watched few a episodes of Scooby Doo then called it a night. It still rained, so I got up a few times to check on her. I'd learned something new the first time I did.

Thalia slept with a teddy bear. A brown, worn out teddy that had one too many stitches keeping it together. There was something sad and precious about the way she held it, a lifeline, an anchor. All worries, dullness and mystery was washed away as she slept soundly.

But I kept checking in on her that night. With each crack of thunder or flash of lightning, I crept out of my room to ensure she was okay. She was. The woman barely even flinched as her arms secured the teddy close to her.

And here I was, three days later patiently waiting for her shift to end. I'd gotten off work not long ago and hadn't seen her since. The aftermath of the storm left us with a lot of cleaning up and assisting in houses affected by it. Luckily, no one was hurt and the floods were settling.

The gym's door opened and I shot to my feet when Thalia emerged. "Hey."

Her hand stilled from going through her purse as she looked up. "Hey, you. Didn't think I was seeing you today."

"Well, you are. Good day?" I asked as we fell into a slow walk.

The shorter woman hummed. "Sorta. Your neighbour still seems angry. Got a lot of glares while she was there today."

I frowned and gently gripped her arm, halting both of us. "I'm sorry. For getting you in between my mess."

"I don't mind. It's entertaining actually." She assured. "Never understood women or men who couldn't handle rejection."

"You like this, don't you? Daphne being mad is enjoyable." I accused with a smile. "You love that she's bitter."

"Maybe." She smirked and continued walking.

I followed. "You're mean."

"Am I?" Her head slanted to look my way.

"No. You try to be, but I see right through you." I complied with the need I had and threw an arm over her shoulder, all friendly. "You're nice."

Thalia snorted and elbowed my side. "Barely, and that's on a good day."

"Lies. Where are we going?" I asked, unsure if we were having our usual lunch or not.

"I'm exhausted and most likely in need of a nap for my shift tonight." She glanced at me. "Tomorrow?"

Understanding, I refused to show disappointment and nodded. "No problem, but I have to work tomorrow."

"After then."

Since Thalia didn't push my arm away, it stayed over her shoulders as I walked her home. I dropped her off at her door and waved before leaving.

~●~

"Why are you so giddy, Jace?" Paul asked me.

I paused my mopping and looked at him, my smile vanishing. "Who's giddy? Not me."

"You're mopping and smiling while mopping. That's not normal. Is it Thalia?" He grinned mischievously now, grabbing the mop from me. "It's because of her, isn't it?"