Chapter Four

Mackenzie

I rubbed my sweaty palms against my clothed thigh, swallowing the lump in my throat. My eyes stayed glued up, the small push against my back reminding me I had to move.

"Stop it, I'm going." I mumbled to Paul.

We were joined by two other firemen, Jackson and Gary. I think I was being singled out because I was the newest member in the department. But I'd be damned if I openly showed my fear. In all my years of being a firefighter, not once have I ever done this. Leave it to the small town to actually rescue cats from trees.

"Are you gonna go or what?" Paul asked quietly.

"I am, I am." I took one step forward and stayed there.

"Are you afraid of heights too?" He asked with worry etched on his features.

I glanced up then back at him. "No. I'm terrified of cats. My sister's tried to kill me."

That was an exaggeration, but the little fur ball scarred me for life. I still have scars on my neck and chest from where he attacked me. Twenty three year old me had only screamed so loud or ran that fast once before because of my brother's dog when I was seventeen.

With shaking hands, I gripped the ladder and slowly climbed up. Paul and Gary held the ladder steady as I did. Nearing the animal, I swallowed a whimper when it saw me.

"Hey, there." I greeted it. "What's up?" Nothing. "Not a talker? That's okay. Can you, uh, be nice enough not to hurt me?"

The cat slowly walked to me, still not close enough for me to touch it.

"Is that a yes?" Nothing. "Hiss once if it's a yes, twice if it's a no."

It hissed three times.

"Is that a maybe?" I questioned.

"Jace, hurry up." Jackson called. "We don't got all day."

"Then maybe you should've come up instead." I called back then focused on the cat. "Let's go down, shall we?" I reached out for the cat and it crawled backwards. "Come on, don't embarrass me. I have to work with these guys."

Its lips peeled back to reveal teeth. Fucking teeth, sharp and scary. I retracted my hand with a gulp. One of its feet lifted and I struggled to stay on the ladder at the sight of claws, lest I fall to my death. Can I die from this fall? I looked down. Maybe not die, but I'd definitely break something. My neck, with my luck and die.

"Jace! You okay, bud?" Paul asked.

"No. It's trying to hurt me." I answered then directed at the cat, "Listen, just come here and let's go. You're being disrespectful." I tried to reach for it again. It hissed and came forward. I scrambled down a few steps. "You little shithead!" I went down the ladder and fixed my helmet on my head.

"Afraid of cats, Jace?" Jackson laughed. "I thought you were gay." He threw at me before heading up the ladder himself.

"Screw you." I mumbled.

I looked around, seeing a few people walking by. It was during the work day so not many were out and about. My head turned back to where I saw a woman walking with her hands inside her back pockets.