Chapter Thirty Six

Thalia

"Thalia!"

I didn't stop but slowed my steps down for Paul as he jogged up to me. "Paul." I murmured when he reached me.

"I wanted to talk to you about Mac's birthday."

I felt my lips forming their usual pout before answering. "It's this Saturday, I know. Do you have plans?"

The younger man shook his head rapidly, overgrown hair brushing over his forehead. "She wants to go to the aquarium in Crestville. It's new and she likes fish."

"Noted." I gave a nod in acknowledgment, keeping the smile to myself.

"Good. Bye, Thalia." He waved and went on with his jog.

With a shake of my head, I completed the last couple of minutes home. Kenzie didn't greet me this time, and I instantly despised her job in that second for taking her away for the night.

After a shower and a meal that consisted of Ramen, I sat on the sofa. I briefly buried my nose in the hoodie I borrowed, relishing in her scent that covered the soft material. It relaxed me, knowing that even if she wasn't here, I still had her close.

Pen to paper, I scribbled down the pending thoughts that took up way too much space in my head. They were all about her. The unknown feelings, emotions I wasn't aware I was capable of experiencing, the fear and anxiety that came with it. Confusion was there on the list too, hope mixed in the middle of everything.

Caribbean blue eyes and pouty dark pink lips, sneaky smiles and dorky ways. I couldn't find enough words to describe the woman and what she was doing to me. A tiny shiver ran through my body as I recalled the way her touch felt, the way her eyes would often soak me in.

The words weren't enough, but I sure did try. I wrote until my hand hurt and my mind spinned from searching for anything that would do her justice. Whether it was a phrase, old poems by lovers who tried before me or lyrics from the millions of songs written about it.

Numerous poems and paragraphs later that night, I still couldn't formulate something that resembled what I felt. Slamming the book down, I let my body fall on the sofa.   

When I woke up, I wasn't on the sofa anymore but tucked into bed with Kenzie's arms around me. It wasn't night anymore either, the sun shining through the window told me it was at least midday.

I eased my way out of her strong hold and tired to get out of bed. I didn't get far before she woke up and gently pulled me back to her. "Kenz,"

"Shh, sleep." A quiet mumble.

I sighed but decided to give in, it was my day off after all.

~●~

"I didn't know you could drive." Kenzie muttered from the passenger seat as I pulled on the seat belt over me. She was dressed in the new leather jacket I got for her, jeans and a white t-shirt. "Wait. You can drive, right?"

I smirked at the almost scared look in her eyes. "We're about to find out." Then I stepped on the gas.

"Slow down, Thalia! Use the brake." One hand held the door while the other failed around.