Chapter Five

Mackenzie

I kicked a small rock away, watching it tumble a few feet down the small slope of the hill I stood on.

Inhaling deeply, I pulled my leather jacket tighter to my body. It was barely dawn when I decided to take a walk, having the privilege of catching the sunrise minutes ago. From where I was, I had a view of the small park in the near distance, a few joggers occupying the space.

I shivered when a cold breeze brushed past me and descended the slope. Aimlessly walking, hands deep in my jeans pockets, I kept my eyes on my black boots. My fingers fidgeted with some loose change that was in my left pocket, the coins cold to touch.

I recalled the simple text I received from Bella late last night. A few words that kept me up the entire night and left me with insomnia as my companion. My head dipped lower down, a few twists falling over my shoulders. My heart was torn between missing the girl who'd been my best friend since the tender age of five, to the woman I stupidly fell in love with.

Soft brown eyes stared back at me whenever I closed my eyes, loud infectious laughter ringing out. I missed the way her petite body felt on cold nights we fell asleep together after countless movies as teenagers. I craved for the girl who knew exactly what to do whenever I had a bad day. I missed having someone to tell everything to, I missed playing with long blonde hair whenever I was bored.

I kept walking, circling the park and dodging joggers as I went. The bakery across the street opened at 7 am, and I only had ten more minutes to wait. My right hand took out my phone, tapping my thumb until I found the message.

Belle- I only need to know you're okay Mac...

When I left home, Bella was on her honeymoon. The woman had no clue I was leaving nor did she know where I was going. I had no doubt my mom would've told her where by now, seeing as no one knew how I felt about Bella.

I still remember her calling and texting. I'd finally answer after a couple of weeks, deciding it was better to let her know I still needed time. She was understanding, after some crying and apologizing about not meaning to hurt me.

I, of course, knew Bella never meant to hurt me. She'd never once led me on or showed any interest in me romantically. She always dated guys and never mentioned having any attraction to girls. Bella had always been supportive of my girlfriends and did her job as a best friend in grilling, ensuring whoever I dated were worthy. Just as I did with her boyfriends.

No, all of this was my heart's doing. The treacherous organ wouldn't take the hint and understand that the pretty blonde with soft brown eyes and magical laughter wasn't ours to have. She'd already given her own heart to a man that exchanged it for his. The woman didn't have a second one to give to us.

My mind knew, it understood and accepted defeat way before I even confessed. My heart was the stubborn thing that kept us hurting for the impossible.

My steps stilled when I reached the big oak tree at the center of the park. The woman that sat below, shielding herself away from the morning sun, was who caught my attention.

Thalia sat, knees up and hand quickly moving as she wrote in a book, maybe a journal. My eyes narrowed in on her, on the rare moment I had the luck of seeing.

Short hair fell to her left as her head tilted, her right ear holding some away from her face. Pink heart shaped lips were slightly lifted, not a full smile but enough to brighten up her usually blank expression. Long, thick eyelashes almost kissed her cheeks as her eyes remained lowered.