Chapter Twenty Four

Mackenzie

"If she asks why you're not coming, it's because you're busy." I whispered to Paul.

He handed me the keys to his car and nodded. "Got it. Not like I'm hurt or anything."

I patted his back. "You get to come next time."

"Typical." He grumbled.

I opened my mouth to respond when Thalia finished talking to Paul's granddad and came over to us. "Why aren't you coming with us?"

Paul glanced at me and I widened my eyes at him. I nodded my head and he shook his. I peeked at Thalia out of the corner of my eye to see her looking at me suspiciously. Subtly, I kicked my friend's foot to get him to talk.

"I'm busy. Super busy this weekend." Paul said in an overly ecstatic tone.

"Are you?" Thalia leaned against the car, hands linked in front of her.

"Yup." He winced when I elbowed him because he took too long to answer.

I plastered on a smile that was probably too big to be considered genuine when Thalia looked at me. She sighed and got in the car, giving me a look that said she didn't believe us before doing so.

"Keep my baby safe." I referred to my bike and went into the car.

I drove off with a wave to Paul and relaxed into the seat. I blatantly ignored the stare my passenger was giving me, happily tapping the steering wheel while singing along to the song on the radio.

"You're a bad liar." She scoffed.

"Huh?" I glanced quickly at her then back to the road. "I didn't do anything."

She propped her hand on the door and looked out the window. "Liar."

"Me? When did I lie? I don't lie." I feigned innocence.

Thalia landed a punch to my arm closest to her. "Just drive."

I grinned, eyes on the road and heart thumping just a tad faster.

Two stops for snacks, one for food and the other for a bathroom break later, I parked the car away from my parents' house. I turned to the woman who was looking around us curiously.

"My Ma is going to make you help in the kitchen." I started. "Pops isn't going to talk to you, don't take it to heart. He's a quiet one. Calvin is a pervert. If he bothers you, you have my permission to punch him. Break something if you must. Kezia is blunt and will ask you inappropriate questions. Ignore her. Ready?"

Brown eyes fluttered at me slowly before she nodded. "Ready."

I drove closer and parked in the driveway. Getting out, I went to the trunk and took out our bags while Thalia exited the car. I sighed as I heard the screaming and yelling from inside, somehow forgetting about the other guests.

"There's a couple of uncles, aunts and cousins in there too." I told her as we walked up to the door.

"Sounds like someone's dying." She snorted when a scream came.

"It does." I gripped the doorknob and paused to look at her. "You look beautiful."

It wasn't a formal party, more like a get together with some of my family members. And Thalia did look stunning though she wore simple black jeans and a grey blouse. It outlined her thick figure and the minimum makeup brought out her eyes and man, when she smiled, breathtaking. She wasn't smiling right then, but gave a little knowing smirk.

"Are we gonna stand here all day?"

I smirked back and opened the door, dropping the bags to the side. "Ma, your favorite child is here!"