Chapter Eleven

Mackenzie

"Favorite ice cream flavor?" Was the first thing I asked Thalia after catching up to her.

I'd spent two and a half hours in the gym, trying to get my workout done in time for when she was leaving. The thing was, the woman still didn't wait even though she knew of my habit to come after her.

"Rocky road." She answered in a mumble, one hand clutching her purse and the other tucking her hair behind her ear.

I shouldered my bag and gathered my twists over my left shoulder. "Nice, but personally I prefer cookie dough."

"Okay." She sighed and ran a hand down the side of her face.

"Long day?" I jumped over a crack in the pavement, completely unnecessary.

I heard another sigh. "Something like that."

"Wanna go for that ice cream?" I asked hopefully, eyes on the shorter woman.

Someone walked in our direction and bumped into her, causing me to reach out and steady her. "You have eyes, use them!" Thalia snapped.

"Fuck off!" The teenager yelled, still speeding off.

Thalia looked about ready to pounce and I pulled her back by the arm. "He's a stupid kid. Leave him." I chuckled, but stopped when she glared at me. "Or not. Go on, I'll be back up." I raised my hands in surrender.

"Fucking teenagers, I swear." She grumbled, groaning soon after. "Ice cream sounds good." She then answered.

I grinned happily for not having to fight her to agree. "Great, let's go." I started walking again, only to stop when I realized something. "I don't know where the shop is though."

Thalia, who hadn't moved yet, rolled her eyes. "That way, but it's a little far. Do you want to put that at my place?" She pointed at my bag.

I followed her finger to my gym bag. "Sure. Thank you."

We walked the short distance to her building. I realized she was one of three tenants, the owners renting to them living above. The apartments weren't big, I noticed when she allowed me in.

I kept my eyes from wandering out of respect and placed my bag down where she told me to. Sticking my hands into the pockets of my black twill joggers, I waited as Thalia excused herself. She disappeared behind the one door to the right, leaving me alone.

She came back out in sweats and a fitted t-shirt, showing off a bit of her tummy and distinct curves. "Let's go."

She walked out first and I followed, waiting as she locked up again. The silence stayed as we walked, until I grew restless and gave another piece of information.

"See this?" I showed her my elbow. "I fell from a tree when I was six. Do you have any scars?"

Thalia mumbled something that sounded like 'too much,' but when I asked she shook her head. "Fell a few times just like any kid."

"Well, I fell a bunch of times. My older brother, Calvin, made sure I was tough so we wrestled too. Treated me like both a brother and sister." I fumbled with my keys in my left pocket. "Do you have any siblings?"

"Not that I know of." The brunette answered, eyes constantly moving to the different things and people we passed.

I frowned at the reply, wondering if I should step into that territory just yet. Probably not, so I thought of something else to say. "Do you have family around here?"

"No." She slipped one hand into her sweats, walking a little faster when we neared what looked like a bookstore. "Mind if I just stopped in?"

"Not at all." I reached for the door, but hesitated when I remembered she didn't like that. Every single time I tried to open this woman's door, I either got a smack to my hand or a glare.