Chapter Seventeen

Mackenzie

"Are you okay?"

I placed the two more mugs of hot chocolate next to the big bowl of popcorn. Thalia didn't answer, instead kept her eyes on the parted curtains where the harsh rain could be seen. I sat beside her and stared until she looked my way. It took longer than needed, considering she was a bit stubborn.

"What?" She snapped quietly, eyes on me now.

I smiled wider. "Do you like the rain?"

"Not really." She answered softly and reached for her cup of chocolate.

"Well, I do." I picked up the remote and looked at her. "Ready?"

She shrugged, I pressed the play button.

A few minutes into the movie, I noticed the woman's attention on her mug and not the television. I glanced at the screen then back to her. The frown and glazed over eyes showed how far away she was at that moment.

I nudged her arm with my elbow. "Do you want to switch to another movie?"

Thalia shook her head and gazed up at me. "I need to go back to my place."

"It's raining. Heavily." I pointed out the obvious.

"I...need to-" She sighed and rubbed a hand down her face. The brunette leaned forward, placed her mug down and grabbed two fistfuls of her hair. "There's something I need at home."

I sat up from my slouching position and placed my own mug down. "Hey," I put my hand on her back, sensing whatever she needed was important. "Does it concern your health?" A shake of her head. "You can't leave now. I promise as soon as the weather clears, I'll take you, okay?"

Brown eyes peered at me from over her left shoulder. She stared hard at me, searching. I didn't know what for but she seemed to have found it. "Okay."

I let my hand gently fall from her back. "Movie?"

Thalia sighed and leaned back, bringing her feet up on the sofa. "Yeah, let's see why you're so obsessed with this woman."

"A very healthy obsession." I supplied and pressed play again. "You'll feel the same way."

"Uh huh."

Thalia seemed to enjoy the movie, except, the loud thunder that occasionally made an appearance made her jump. I took in the way her hands tightly clutched her mug between her hands and the stiff body language.

I raised the volume all the way up so that it would drown out the outside world. My guest relaxed beside me, her figure sinking into the cushions. Reaching for the blanket I got earlier on, I draped it over her legs.

I settled back in my spot and focused on the movie, looking to my right when the blanket fell on me. Thalia fixed it on both of us, a rare shy expression on her face. Before she could see the grin spreading across my lips, she faced forward again.

By the time the first movie was done and the second was half way through, our bodies were closer than before. Staying perfectly still, afraid I'd scare her off, I smiled when her head fell back on the sofa but really close to my shoulder. I breathed slowly, cautiously, fearing that even my heartbeat was too loud.

"What's the next one?" Thalia asked softly.

"Are you now in love with Selene too?" I joked, hearing the quiver in my tone.

A pinch to my arm. "Just answer?"

"It's a prequel, she isn't in that one. We'll have to watch Underworld: Endless War then Underworld: Awakening and Underworld: Blood War." I said all happy that we might be watching them together. "Then we'll watch Resident Evil."