Epilogue

Thalia

The barking of the dog woke me up. Or was it Kenzie's high pitched screaming? Whichever one, I got up groggy and a tad bit unhappy.

My sleepy eyes forcefully opened and attempted to find the woman in the small room of her parents' basement. She was pressed up against the door, pushing to it with all her might. On the other side the sounds of barking could be heard.

"What the hell are you doing?" I grumbled out loudly.

She jumped, fearful eyes slightly relaxed. "Help. The damn dog is trying to eat me."

"If you're so scared of it, then stop bothering her, Kenzie." I threw my body backwards to lay down again. "It's the same thing every damn time. You provoke her and then claim she wants to kill you."

"I didn't do anything. Promise." She made her way over to me, fists pressed into the mattress as she leaned down. "Thal, make it go away."

I softened my glare, but made sure some hint of irritation remained because I knew she was lying. "I'm calling off the wedding if you keep waking me like this."

Kenzie rolled her eyes and huffed. "You won't have a fiancée if you don't make the damn dog go away. Why? Because it's going to eat me."

"Go away." I pushed at her when she came closer.

The woman opened her mouth to protest but the sounds of her mom's angered voice caused her to jump. "Mackenzie! Why's there paint on the dog?!"

"I didn't do it!" She lied quickly.

"Yes, you did." I mumbled.

Her mom yelled at her some more before taking the dog with her.

I shut my eyes, but they were soon opening again when the woman I now called my fiancée pushed my legs apart. Kenzie settled between my spread thighs and laid her head on my stomach. Toned arms hugged my body while my left hand reached down to rest on her back. I lightly trailed my fingers across her smooth skin.

"We still on for tomorrow, right?" She asked quietly.

"You mean our wedding?" I chuckled softly. "Yes, we're still on."

Kenzie and I moved to the city almost two years ago. I'd taken her advice on publishing my poems, and I now had two poetry books that were best sellers. Not only had I succeeded regarding my career, but I'd also acquired a new family. Kenzie's were more than welcoming, loving and supportive.

It had taken me time to adjust, and I still had some moments where fear tried to overpower every other emotion. But, Mackenzie Jace was always right there to pull me back. Whether it was with just those caribbean blue eyes or her wicked smile, she never failed. She also ensured we visited Zac every few months. I'd visit his grave, then we'd go to the park and sit under the tree while I wrote.

So three months ago, when I came home to find her in our living room with a simple candlelight dinner prepared, it didn't take a genius to figure out what was next. Her endearing stuttering and bouncing leg were also clear indicators. And the moment her knee hit the floor as she pulled out a ring, saying 'yes' was the easiest thing I'd ever done in my life.