Chapter Three

Mackenzie

"Should you be drinking so much?" I asked Paul as he threw back drink after drink.

Gulping down his current one, he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "I have issues and the day off tomorrow. Want another one?"

I shook my head, still holding my second beer of the night. "I'm good."

I chanced a look in the direction of the bar, having no luck seeing the familiar woman tonight. We did run into Vivian and Blue who were dancing with some friends, but no one else we knew. I would've gone home by now, but Paul's behaviour worried me a bit tonight. It didn't feel right leaving him while being that wasted.

I rubbed my neck, the boring and slow paced life of this town weighing on me. I promised myself and my Mom to stop my reckless behaviour, but I wasn't used to this routine. Work, home, gym, home, work, gym. It was too repetitive and lonely.

Taking out my stress and trying to move on with my life seemed a little more difficult when nothing was happening. I needed more, a hobby, another friend, just something. Paul was trying and the boy helped to an extent, but even he admitted to being stuck in a routine.

I finished my beer and headed to get another. I didn't have to worry about driving since I walked and I had a high tolerance for alcohol. I got the attention of the bartender, the young woman immediately coming over. She seemed a little younger than me, maybe in her early twenties.

I showed her my empty bottle and with a blinding smile, she quickly got another. "Thanks."

"No problem." A wink my way before she left to her other customers.

"Aren't you becoming popular quite fast." A soft voice, a hint of teasing but not enough to be sure, said to my right.

I turned to see Thalia, tight top and jeans to show of glorious curves. The woman wasn't skinny and had enough of a figure to lure anyone in. That paired with her impeccable beauty. Soft brown eyes framed by thick lashes, plump pink lips and rosy cheeks. My eyes dropped to her ample cleavage then to her stomach which wasn't tight with abs but presented a slight tummy.

I swallowed, casting my eyes down to my drink and feeling embarrassed for perving. "What do you mean?"

Thalia busied herself with wiping down the counter. "Layla seems to like you."

"Who?" I asked while looking around. I set my eyes back on the short haired woman when I received no answer, meeting curious eyes instead. "What?"

Her head shook slightly. "Can I get you anything else?"

"No. It's not busy tonight." I dumbly pointed out.

"It rarely ever is." She made a move to indicate she was leaving and I caught a glimpse of a generous ass in tight clothing.

"Do you like working here? Cause you work at the gym too and I was wondering. You know, if you like working two jobs." I quickly spoke to keep her company from leaving me.

Thalia's head rocked from side to side when she turned around, her lips in that pouted position that wasn't a pout. "Why would anyone like working two jobs?"

I exhaled. "Point taken. Is there anything fun to do in this town?"

She pointed over my shoulder. "That's about it."

When I turned to see what she meant, I saw the few dancing customers. A smile fell on my lips and I looked forwards again, only to see an empty spot. My smile dropped and I sighed. Grabbing my drink, I made my way back to a drunk Paul.