Chapter Eight

Mackenzie

"No, I'm not feeling unwell and no, it's not scary as hell that I want you more than anyone else. Want your body all to myself. It's not like I'm losing my head, thinking 'bout you in my bed. Keep doing that thing you do, it's not like I'm in love with you." I drunkenly mumbled out my words as I stumbled up the three flights of stairs to my apartment.

My day was cursed the moment I woke up with Bella on my mind. It got worse when my shift consisted of doing chores at work or listening to Jackson talk crap. The guy was an insensitive ass who thought he was better than everyone. I hated having to work with people that mentality.

Other than that, the mundane aura that this town had didn't do much to keep the blonde woman out of my head. She was in there, taunting me. She was a constant terror that made staying awake difficult.

Paul couldn't join me at the bar tonight and I didn't run into Blue or Vivian either. I did however see Brian being the ass he was. Sunday night meant Thalia was off so I spent my time in a corner drinking my sorrows away. One too many drinks ended with me drunker than I've been in a long time.

"Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shootin' stars, I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now." I grunted when I fell on the second flight of stairs.

Slowly, I carefully placed my hands on the walls and tried to get up. It took me longer than it should've, but I eventually got up. I giggled when I swayed, beaming with pride when I stood on my two feet.

I continued up. "Hearing 'bout your new life and a brand new you. It's like, heard you got a new job but I heard you moved. It's like, I don't wanna hear it, don't wanna hear 'bout you. It's like I don't give a fuck. Yeah, I do." I almost tripped but caught myself. "I love songs. I'm gonna marry songs. Songs are good."

I tried finding my door, but they moved my apartment because it wasn't where I left it. I rubbed my tired eyes and searched on, squinting my eyes to see better. I used the wall to balance myself, sliding down when my legs felt too tired.

Reaching into my pocket, I retrieved my phone and tried to call my apartment. It didn't answer so I had to force myself back up. A year had passed when I found it again.

"Where did you go?" I asked, fumbling with my keys and losing balance when it opened. "Shit." I mumbled from the floor. "Why is it so dark?"

I reached for my phone again to call the lights. It didn't answer just like my apartment didn't answer. No one was answering me. I left a message for them anyway, hoping they'd call back.

~●~

"Who is hitting my brain?" I panted, hands to my head. "Oh my fuck."

"Morning." A voice spoke, a familiar voice, a voice that shouldn't be here.

I looked up, my eyes blurry and head pounding. "B-Belle?"

Am I dreaming?

I rubbed my eyes and forced myself to not think about my throbbing headache. After long minutes of focusing on the petite figure in front of me, I gasped. She didn't look happy, but there was worry on her face too.

Bella sighed and walked closer, taking up the glass of water on my nightstand and handing it to me. "Take this." She then gave me a pill.

I silently swallowed the pill with the help of the water. I put the now empty glass down and looked up, Bella's weak smile greeting me. "How are you here?" I winced at the way my voice croaked.