01 | Work

"Mrs. Takahashi, I'm afraid that she isn't making much progress. I'm going to prescribe her but she needs constant monitoring. You're sure that she takes the pills?"

The conversation on the other side of the door goes on for what seems like hours. Monitoring. It's the one word that's stuck in my head. The letters begin appearing in my head as I think of the one thing I can't get. Monitoring. I'm at the hospital for a check up with Dr. Suzuki.

Apparently, I'm in critical condition and I have to start my new stronger medication.

Well, that long conversation finally ends. Mother along with Dr. Suzuki step in the room. This appointment ends with my doctor frantically talking about how I need to be very careful and I need to take my medication and with me tugging the hem of my shirt distracting my eyes from the tears that threaten to appear. These doctor appointments really get me and I don't want Mother to see that.

Luckily, I'm able to give them a little smile.

Mother and I walk out of the hospital in dead silence, that is until it's broken. By yet another one of her reminders.

"Posture, Hana."

I straighten my back and hold my head up as all my anger shift to my hands. All I can do is clench the medication bag tighter and tighter.

We walk to the car and I sit in the back seat, I give Mother a little beam to show I'm fine as I ask:

"Mother, am I making any progress?"

"I'm afraid not."

"Well, I hope this medication works. Am I going to school now?"

"Definitely. I need to head to work, the office needs me to finish my paperwork before I go on an important business trip. I've informed your school about you missing your first class."

A business trip? Now? Why now? I've been planning all month for us to go visit the beach for the first time and she knows what I've been planning. Should I say anything? No, that's rude. Disagreeing with Mother is disrespect and that is a red line I absolutely cannot cross.

That long train of thoughts is immediately stopped with the stop of the car. I arrive at school, I wonder if Kiyomi is waiting. Kiyomi's been my best friend for as long as I remember, she is practically my sister, my only companion.

I step out the car, making sure Mother hears me say,

"Have a good day Mother, I love you."

No response, as usual.

And with that, I walk through the gates into the campus of Shiratorizawa Academy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Hello everyone! I really hope you like the first chapter! Please tell me what you think in the comments, I'd appreciate it. Also, how do you think Hana and Ushijima will meet? I have lots of ideas ahead. I'm also really hungry >:(

Have a great day! <3