25 | Poetry

During my last period which was a free period, I sat alone in the school courtyard. I finished up my literature homework before I decided to reopen the poem topic. I truly believed that I would be in the same confusion as a day or two ago when looking for a topic. I took out my personal literature notebook and began thinking while my finger touched and wrapped around the engraved necklace. That's when I got a start to an idea, love could be a topic. Reading all of those psychology paragraphs gave me the exact topic I was looking for.

I went back to one of the websites and wrote down the main points of "What love does to someone psychologically" as a topic. That's a pretty wide topic but I can narrow it, especially with Mrs. Ito's help. I asked the substitute for the free period if I could head to Mrs. Ito's classroom, why not ask her now? I can write the most impressive poem I can if I start early. Pulling my posture together, I got permission and went to her.

Knocking on her classroom's door, I was given permission to enter. It had just occured to me that Wakatoshi was still taking his exam and missing last period for it. That's just how important it was. He was sitting there, with a determined face.

-

"There's no way I'm failing this exam, I'm not letting her down." Wakatoshi thought.

-

Once he saw me, his tense expression softened as I entered the classroom with a smile.

"Mrs. Ito?"

"Yes, Takahashi? Come on in."

I went to her desk.

"I finally have a topic for my poem, I need your guidance."

"That's great. What do you need help with?"

~

At last, I have my long-awaited topic for the literature competition. It's all organized and ready. Points, details, all of the devices are coming together in my head. To set the right mood, I plugged in my head phones and began working on my poem back in my spot at the courtyard. I was alone, calm, and in the right mood.

I knew that this was the perfect time to create the best poem to blow my teachers away, they're all going to be there once the results are announced at graduation. This is the perfect opportunity to receive their compliments and praise. It'll be unforgettable, and I'll be remembered by my teacher for my talents. Honoring my family and my family name is also something I had in mind when thinking of the outcome for my poem.

I may be greedy for wanting such validation and praise but it's not something in my range of control.

I can so clearly imagine a conversation between people, possibly my teachers, where they say:

"Oh yes, I taught her. It was truly an honor to teach her, I knew the Takahashi clan had such intelligence. It's clear it runs in that sophisticated family."

Just the thought of my teachers saying that sent a motivational purge through my brain to impress them all.

I went on to write the first three parts with ease. That's when a familiar figure approached me in silence. I looked up to see who it is.

"Oh, Wakatoshi. How was the exam?"

"It was good. I think I did well." He said seriously.

Noticing the empty yard, I continued.

"Really? Hold on, what time is it?"

"The last bell rang about ten minutes ago, I'm headed to practice. I wanted to see if you want to come inside the gym instead since Nakamura isn't here."

"That's very sweet of you, Wakatoshi. I'll come inside with you."

I packed up the rest of my things with his help and we walked together to the gym.

"If I may ask, what were you working on back there? Seems important if it caused you to not hear the dismissal bell."

"I was working on my poem for the literature competition, I finally found a topic. I also had my headphones in and I was just very focused."

"What is it about?"

"Oddly enough, love. I'm writing about it psychologically but I'm most likely going to change the topic but I doubt it."

"That's interesting."

We made a stop in front of the gym doors when he finished our conversation.

"Whatever the topic is, I'm sure it'll be mind blowing. Your poetry always is."

I never realized how that stoic face of his can be gentle and say gentle words like that.

He went ahead and walked in while I contained myself and pressed my palms against my cheeks before walking in to give the team a helping hand in place of Kiyo.

During practice, I would often catch Wakatoshi's eye and we would make sudden eye contact that was interrupted by him continuing his practice or a little smile from me. We both didn't know why, but the eye contact continued and it's clear we didn't mind.

After it was over, we walked home together like usual and said our goodbyes. I accompanied words of encouragement towards his play that was the day after tomorrow that I can't wait to see. I had an odd feeling about the play though, I wasn't at too much ease about it. Yet we both parted ways and the goodbyes we say each time seem more and more heartfelt by each day we walked side by side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author: There is nothing more pleasing in this universe than seeing appreciation, seeing all your appreciative votes and reads truly give my day a touch of joy and happiness. I'm candidly honored to say that we are approaching the 30th chapter, I never thought I'd make it this far! I hope everyone is having a lovely beginning of summer! (ᵔᴥᵔ)

P.S. I added all the songs from the playlist to each chapter to make things easier. Each song may not get to the specific part that I have in mind when choosing the song but you can skip to it if you know it! Point is, I hope reading is more enjoyable now!!