31 | Overtime

Slam. Slam. Slam. Slam. Slam.

Ball after ball after ball. Hit after hit after hit. All the energy collects in his left wrist and arm as he slams the volleyball down to the ground, releasing all his tension and pestering confusion.

Semi sets him a ball from the opposite side of the court. He runs rapidly and hits it down precisely with another thought released.

Why is she not waving good morning anymore?

He sets another, hits it back down. It shifted to the middle this time, rotating around thirty degrees farther from the previous one.

Have I done something?

The final one.

Why won't she talk to me?

"Okay, let's all take a break." Coach Akira says.

"Toss me another." Ushijima tells Semi quietly.

Ushijima isn't the most open with his emotions, thoughts, or private ideas to his teammates, he never was. Usually, he gets asked if he wants to hit another. If he wants to, he'll nod. Only because it could be a step closer to gaining skill and power while satisfying the setter's request. During all practices, Ushijima is less vocal and resolves his obstacles on his own. He doesn't seek an opportunity to be more social during the sweaty hours of slamming balls and playing against his teammates.

It was only the tender frustration about her that drove him to ask more than his standard during today's practice.

"You sure? You seem very worn out right now, Ushiwaka." Semi asks.

He grunts before walking back to the back right position. Without a word, he pants as he runs up to jump into his spiking form. Semi, who didn't know what do to, sends him a quick sloppy set. He manages to slam it down the hardest he could, fixing that set. The ball flew back up high as he walked away annoyed leaving it to bounce around repeatedly.

"That's what I like to see, Ushijima." Coach Washijo says.

"At this rate, you'll move up the ranks quickly." Coach Akira pitches in.

He takes fast gulps from his water bottle as they continue, his tension rising.

"I want to see that same spike in the tournament next week." Coach Washijo adds before walking away.

"Which one?" Goshiki asks.

"The one that assures us the spot as the finalists before heading to nationals." Shirabu says.

"Ah."

Still sweaty, Ushijima goes after the ball he had mercilessly struck.

"Still not satisfied?" Reon asks.

"How are you still going? I'm the one setting and I can't take it any more." Semi pants.

His brows arch closer, displaying the burning exasperation burning their way into his expression. Instead of passing someone the ball to set for him, he walks over to the wall. He begins far, then throws the ball to begin a setting drill.

"What's up with him?" Reon asks.

"He's clearly frustrated." Suzuki says.

"Why? His spikes are at their prime, he's the best he's ever been." Semi blurts out.

"He's been like this since Hana stopped talking to him." Shirabu says, looking at Ushijima who's still training.

"How do you know?" Tendō asks, surprised.

"He's always ahead of me in the main hall since he leaves to his class early each morning. Every day he waves to her and they talk to each other for a bit. In that minute, he changes. Once we get to class, he's energetic and ready to learn. Just the other day I saw him trying to wave to her but she didn't respond, he was dull in class after that."