08 | Cherry Blossom Petals

ZZZip!

That's the last zipper of the last supply bag of things on the school volleyball court, we're packed up.

That's when Kiyo, the team, and I start walking out onto the school campus.

"I'm excited for the tournament, to be honest!" Reon says.

"I am too!" Goshiki replies.

"I'm sure you guys will do amazing." Kiyo says. They are a very coordinated team. However, I don't know anything about this tournament. I'll ask Kiyo later.

We all start splitting up. Some first years went here, second years there, all who were left were me, Kiyo, Tendo, and Ushijima.

Tendo heads towards the dorms saying,

"I'll see you tomorrow."

We all walk out the gates.

"Oh, gosh! I just remembered my mom needs me to pick up a few things from the convenience store, I need to head there right now! I'll see you around!"

And she runs off before I could say anything.

It was just me and Ushijima now, again. Funny how fate works.

"How's literature going for you?" I inquire.

"It's going very smoothly, it's gradually getting easier to understand."

"Really? I'm so glad I could be of help to you."

"Thank you."

"My pleasure."

He's silent, a bit frustrated.

"There's a test."

"Hm?"

"Mrs. Ito is giving me another chance with a test that'll be worth 50% of my graduating grade. I don't know what to do."

He looks at me, a worry marinating in those olive eyes.

"Don't worry. I'll start bringing out the more advanced work and you'll get through it!" He needs hope.

"I hope so."

"You will." I insist.

"You know what? Let's look at the schedule to see the next lesson." I take my phone out and open the schedule.

It's in two weeks.

"It's in two weeks." I squint.

"Is that bad?"

"Oh, no. It's a just coincidence that it's on my birthday."

"It's fine if you don't want to, I understand."

"No, of course not! I don't have anything planned anyway. I'd love to."

I notice the sun setting, shouldn't he be home?

"Do you live anywhere near here?"

He looks around and pauses before slowly saying,

"I, I live down the street. Same direction as you." Weird, I don't usually see him walk by.

"I see. So, how about then, we extend the lesson by an hour to work even more?"

"That's fine."

We keep walking, until we reach a bright cherry blossom tree.

"It bloomed."

"What?" He says.

"The cherry blossom tree. Usually it blooms a bit later in the spring." I clutch at my bag's strap.