22 | Waiting

"That is what remains in our lesson for today, you are dismissed." Mr. Watanabe dismissed us with his usual hand gesture.

I pushed my notes into my notebook and closed it. Putting it into my bag, I turned to my right to talk to Kiyo.

"I'm so glad this lesson is over." She said, packing her stuff as the dismissal bell rang at the end of the school day.

"Really? I thought it was quite fun." We picked up our bags and stood up.

"You actually like math. I don't, I just get good grades by studying."

"At least you're a topper in the most difficult subject? That's a plus."

"Hell yeah it is. When I'm at Dad's place, he's always shocked by my grades. He's not a math whiz, Mom was always the one helping me with math as a kid."

"I remember that!" I pointed, grasping onto that memory.

We walked out and were about to go to the right direction when I said:

"Hey, you go ahead. I'll come in a second."

"Okay, the team wants to head to the cafeteria to get snacks before splitting up. Just come by so you and Ushijima can leave together like usual after."

"Got it." I walked away.

I headed over to Mrs. Ito's classroom. I really needed guidance. Not with our new passage, no way. I already began working on it individually to be prepared, I'm more than fine. I really need-

"Hey Takahashi!" A second year I tutored, Haruki, ran towards me waving.

"Oh? Haruki, are you okay?"

He stopped and took a few breaths before saying:

"Mrs. Ito needs you in her classroom." He panted.

"Don't you worry and tire yourself. I was heading there already."

"Okay."

"Better go to the cafeteria quick, there's leftover curry they're selling for cheaper." I remember tutoring him once, I made curry since we were starving. He had three bowls, to say the least. And so, he bolted away.

I walked calmly over to Mrs. Ito's classroom before composing my posture and smiling while opening the door.

"Hello Mrs. Ito, I really need your help."

"Oh yes, come in."

"I forgot you called me in for something, please excuse me."

"It's fine dear, go ahead."

"It's about the literature competition that you and Mrs. Hirano host."

"I'm sure this is quite serious, you never have a problem with poetry. Go on."

"I'm having lots of difficulty with the topic. Every time I think of something elaborative, I can only write down two stanzas before stopping short and thinking of something else. There isn't anything in my life perhaps that I am able to discuss at competition level and with that amount of passion."

"Ah, I see. Author's block got you. I'm afraid there is no medicine that can dissolve the block in your way, Takahashi. It's a matter of your life and what you're surrounded with that might be what's stopping you. Writing poems can have authors with passions and talent that reach farther than the universe but with no stable surrounding, or authors that have basic skills but they are blessed with many surroundings. That I can't assist you with. But, I will lend a helping hand with descriptive tools and what relates if you encounter that issue."