lxxi

"UNEXPECTED GUESTS"

A few uneventful weeks had passed into the summer

A few uneventful weeks had passed into the summer. Some days Alana would wake up to the entire mansion empty. But when she woke up this particular morning, she heard voices down the hall towards the living room. Her parents would never have people over normally, so she found this odd.

She pulled on a large sweater, socks, and soft slippers that could aid her in making any noise. It was the early hours of the morning, and guests at this time would have been odd in a different household as well.

Alana opened her door slightly, squeezed through the opening, and shut the door behind her. She crossed to the other side of the hallway, and walked down towards the noise of people conversing, sticking to the walls, where the floorboards had been used far less than the boards towards the middle of the hallway.

She reached the living room door where it had been accidentally left open. Alana had her back face the door, and let her right ear listen in.

Barely any words could be made out. Except for ones like bound and statuses. What could that mean? Alana wondered what these people could be talking about. She sensed her father talking in a low settled voice, and more words could be made out, continue, desire, families.

The voices in the room became silent, and she could hear a tapping noise come closer towards the door. She was unsure of what to make of it until within a second, the door swung open loudly and out came a brutish cloaked figure who pointed a wand towards her.

Alana stayed silent and still, but bewildered at the sight of someone threatening her own life within her own home.

The hooded figure motioned with their head for her to walk into the living room. She obeyed, and within an instant, her father spoke out rather aggressively towards the figure, "Put away your wand." His eyes shot dangers to the figure, yet he remained calm, sitting still in his seat and clasping a glass of dark amber.

In the room there was more unrecognizable or distinguishable figures who hid their faces from sight, that hung about the outer rim of the room. However within the inner seating of the room, there sat her father who is the head of the Wallace household, and her mother. On the opposite side sat two silver haired guests, who looked towards her with interest.

Her mother motioned with her hand towards her, "This is Alana, my daughter." Alana returned her focus towards the two. As the shock from the previous event died down, she recognized one of them as one of her fellow students -- Draco Malfoy.

Alana nodded politely and made her way to sit on one of the lone armchairs. The other person, the woman sitting next to Draco had dark and silver hair, and an aged face. She had been looking at Alana particularly.

"I had heard of the wretched boy's betrayal of you, my dear," she muttered. "It is with great respect for the Dark Lord, that he would not do the same to us."