xix

"THE START OF THE THIRD AND FINAL TASK"

warning: slight swearing

The task that everyone had been waiting for had come at last, and the Weasley twins' assumption was indeed correct: the final task was to take place in a maze.

Trumpets and music were played as the spectators cheered for the championships who were preparing for the final task. A podium was settled position in the middle of the clearing that sat before the crowds and the entrances of the maze.

Dumbledore stood there, patiently waiting for the crowds to die down, but he silenced them, "Silence! Earlier today, Professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze ... only he knows its exact position. Now as Mr. Diggory —" cheers erupted from enthusiastic Hufflepuffs, "—and Mr. Potter—" he was yet again cut off from his sentence, as Gryffindors cheered, "— tied for first position, they will be first to enter the maze. Followed by Mr. Krum—" the Durmstrang students cheered in roars for their Quidditch Celebrity, "— and Miss Delacour." Beauxbatons girls cheered for the girl who had been chosen to represent their academy.

Dumbledore finished his speech, "First best to touch the cup ... will be the winner! I have instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if there at any point any contestant wishes to endorse from the task: he or she can only send up red sparks with their wand." The headmaster bundled the champions together, after his encouraging speech toward the four champions, we waved toward the maze. "Prepare yourselves."

The two Hogwarts champions walked to the entrances of the maze, waiting for the task to formally start. "On the count of three. One—" was what Dumbledore announced because he was cut of by the boom of a canon, a canon that then started the final task of the Triwizard Tournament. Trumpets were played as they had previously been before, the audience cheered as the first two champions entered the maze.

Alana Wallace had been sitting beside her Gryffindor friend, Neville, someone who she had now come to be friends with, no matter what happened in the past. The two Hogwarts students had finally learned of their differences and similarities, what made them — them.

The Hufflepuff girl felt liquid building into her lungs, and she knew that she would be coughing momentarily. Alana looked to Neville, and tapped him on the arm, he looked back and waited for what Alana has to say: "My lungs feel drowned ... I might start coughing."

A look of shock and distress played on Neville's face. He had not witnessed Alana have a coughing fit, but he had seen her pass out. He did not want to see her in that type of way, Neville muttered, "Could I do anything to help?"

"Yeah, just if I lose my consciousness —" Alana looked to Neville and paused and knew that she finally trusted him to take care of her. "— inform Professor McGonagall to take me to the Hospital Wing."

"Okay," Neville nodded and then the conversation was now still, as both of them were waiting for the storm of coughs to arise from Alana, it was prone it occur. He spoke yet again, "Merlin's Beard, why does everything have to be so complicated?"

"Life has been complicated since the existence of time, Neville," Alana nodded, "but the worst only happens to very few people." Neville hummed, and nodded to Alana's intellect about complications. They both knew what Alana was speaking of: the worst of fates have selected them. Neville, with his tortured parents — and Alana, with her dastardly lung condition.

Then, without warning, Alana had begun to cough softly. As the drowning in her lungs commenced she knew she would pass out. The Hufflepuff witch coughed louder and the sound became raspy and she had begun to feel drowsy.

As the coughing of Alana caused her to pass out, Neville prevented her to hit her head. He whimpered lowly and his face had been cast with worry, "—To Professor McGonagall," he careful carried along her oxygen tank and he carried Alana carefully down to where the professor sat. "Professor," he called out once he was sure she could hear him.

Once Minerva McGonagall saw sight of Neville Longbottom carrying Alana Wallace, she knew instantly that Alana had passed out, "Oh, bloodyfuckinghell," she whispered to herself. And stared to Neville, questioning him, "Has the same occurrence happened once again?"

Neville shook his head, "No, professor. She said that her lungs felt drowned, she started to cough shortly after."

"Alright," the professor cast a spell on Alana that caused her to float into the air, her oxygen tank floating aswell. "Well, I am off then."

Just before Minerva McGonagall stepped away towards the castle for the hospital wing, Neville spoke out, "Professor?"

"Yes, Mr. Longbottom?" McGonagall turned towards the boy.

Neville was quite worried for his Huffflepuff friend. He had not been allowed to follow the professor and his unconscious friend after the first task. The Gryffindor had grown close to Alana Wallace, the therefore developed a connection. He spoke embarrassed in front of the professor, "I was wondering if I could come along this time. Alana is my friend, professor."

"Come along, Mr. Longbottom," Professor McGonagall nodded towards the exit of the area, "Watch your step."