xvi

"THE SECOND TASK, PART ONE"

All of the three wizarding school's students boarded boats onto the wizard-made towers in the Black Lake

All of the three wizarding school's students boarded boats onto the wizard-made towers in the Black Lake. All of the champions stood on the middle tower, waiting patiently for the host headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, to begin and foremost commence the Second Task of the Triwizard Tournament.

"Welcome to the Second Task," Albus Dumbledore's thunderous voice boomed across the Black Lake. "Last night something was stolen from each of our champions: a treasure of sorts. These four treasures, one for each champion, now lie on the bottom of the Black Lake. In order to win, each champion need only to find that treasure and return to the surface. Simple enough, except for this: they will have only one hour to do so. And one hour only." Dumbledore finished his speech abruptly as he commenced the Second Task.

As the hosting headmaster did, and cannons were fired, the champions dove into the water's surface of the Black Lake, and therefore to start their next task. But, those who looked downward at the Black Lake's surface only saw three bodies swimming forth, and one presumably sinking.

After a moment something shot out of the water, it was Harry Potter, who fell back into the water due to gravity. Cheers had erupted from where some Gryffindors watched the scene unravel before them. The Hogwarts-Gryffindor competitor swam into the deep gloomy area of the lake, out of view.

The Black Lake as itself is the home and the retreat of many creatures and beings of the known and unknown. When the events of Hogwarts roll around, some creatures cooperate with the certain tasks that have been given. Some creatures are notably what witches and wizards call Merpeople, what the Ministry of Magic classifies under the category of beast.

Alana Wallace stood by fence of the tower and overlooked the second task, rather displeased by that fact that the champions cannot be reached immediately, or monitored.

And so the Hufflepuff stood alone, looking gloomily to the depths and shallows of what is known as the Black Lake, looking for a sense of reassurance of what is to occur in this task of the tournament. No one approached this girl, for she lacked the sense of openness and joy that everyone seemed to want.

"Alana, could we speak for a while?" The boy who the Hufflepuff had been trying to avoid since the ball was now here, trying to speak with her. Alana Wallace turned around and saw him looking worried as she'd ever seen him. She nodded, and turned back around, trying to enjoy the early morning that welcomed the sun to hover above the murky water of the Black Lake and the Hogwarts grounds itself. Neville walked beside her and leaned onto the fence, he too trying to enjoy the sight unraveling before the two, "I miss speaking to you, Alana. I do not know what has happened to our friendship, but I wish for the things we used to have. We call still study for Arithmancy, or even any class for that matter. Possibly even more — like watching Quidditch practices ... for either of our houses."

"That would be nice, Neville," Alana looked to him and revealed her true admiration for him. She had one tear streak down her cheeks, not out of hatred or sadness, but true happiness. A true happiness that Alana Wallace had not felt since her last school year. "I would like the way it used to be, thank you." Neville smiled and raised his hand to wipe off the tear that had formed on her cheek. They both turned back to the scene before them, both of them seeing the light and dark of the sunrise. Both of them now different, yet alike.