lxxv

"EVASION"

The one thing Alana Wallace wished for? To avoid all of the people who she cared for

Of course, she didn't really want that, but it is what is only needed at this moment — for them to live. And that's the way for them to, for the daughter of an affiliated family to steer clear of them. It hurt her most, to know that this was ultimately hurting them, emotionally.

Neville, who she was finally starting to date, and who she shared intimate moments with as well. The one she cared about the most, and the one who she would send letters to frequently prior to this last break in the school year.

And, Erise, her closest friend who thinks that she has been betrayed by her. The one who she has spent the last five years in the same dormitories, talking about their days, and becoming friends along the way.

In another way, Jayden, her recent friend and official bodyguard, had been wound up in all of this drama and serious danger. Of course, he knew about the danger, but not the tangles he was in after his relation with her roommate had just begin.

Three individuals, whose lives had been affected by her, but ultimately by the affiliation of her parents' within the Dark Lord's ranks. Alana has no way to change this situation, or help anyone except for herself. But by avoiding the company of the people she cares about, would be the only way to help. Alana knew this was the only way.

She had been studying by herself in the Hogwarts library, amongst the books of her advanced classes, Potions and Arithmancy. Completely different, yet alike in the most important ways. She turned uninterested through the final book's pages, and began to look at her surroundings, such as the books on the shelves next to her. One caught her eye, one that looked untouched in the back of some books: Newest Herbology. She flipped through some of its pages, until some pages stuck open due to a piece of parchment that had been wedged into the middle of two pages. It read:

"If found, please return to Neville Longbottom, House Gryffindor."

It was as if a spike was hurled through her chest at that moment, and she panicked internally. This couldn't have possibly been considered a possible interaction, could it? Alana pulled out a parchment from her bag, and her quill which had hardly been cleaned since her last class. She wrote down quickly, I'm sorry, before then folding the parchment, then shutting the book down onto the shelf, just far enough to be able to be read.

She put her quill back in her bag, and wiped her hands of any possible ink. She quickly patted her hot face with her hands in an attempt to cool herself down.

Something in the opposite end of the aisle of books stayed immobile. She focused her eyes, and studied the upper face of one of the other students who was staring at her from over the top of her book. Alana came to the daunting realization that this student was Erise.

She tried to quickly shove the two books into her bag, as Erise made her way briskly down the aisle. Alana stood up with her bag, practically threw the bag onto her shoulder, and ground out a sentence while passing her roommate: "It would be best for you to stop talking to me, Erise."

Alana was prevented from moving from her position, as Erise had grabbed ahold of her arm. Erise practically yelled at her, "What's so wrong about it?" her voice became softer and possibly with a hint of pain, "I don't understand. Why won't you tell me?"

Alana only looked back at Erise, their connecting arms, then pulled her arm back, away from her. She knew that Erise didn't understand but wish she would without the situation having to be explained.

Erise took a step forward, and began again, "What happened? You ignored my letters. I believe your sudden outburst is childish, to say the least."

The other Hufflepuff turned her head and walked very fast out of the library. She thought about how she couldn't do anything to fix it except to just ignore her. Alana continued walking until her legs began to hurt a bit, and until she was outside of the Hogwarts' castle walls, and she was no longer on the very top of the hill where the castle sat.

Alana fell down, and her face became very hot, and she broke into tears. She wish things were different, better than this.