xliii

"ON THE TRAIN TO HOGWARTS"

Platform Nine and Three Quarters had been packed with Hogwarts students and their parents who had mumbled amongst themselves about some matter called Educational Decree Number Twenty-Two

Platform Nine and Three Quarters had been packed with Hogwarts students and their parents who had mumbled amongst themselves about some matter called Educational Decree Number Twenty-Two. The children of the parents had begun to notice this and ask around.

Alana Wallace had arrived just in time on the Hogwarts Express, as she had to pull both of her luggage behind her onto the train. She found an empty room by surprise, sitting down at the seat that faced towards the direction of which the train had been headed.

The room smelled of dust, reminding her of previous train rides to and fro; but her senses have been heightened as a result of her now current state: healthy — no longer to be taunted for carrying around an oxygen tank nor having to suffer long nights with her coughing fits.  She inhaled the air as if to mark today as the day of no longer being shackled down by her previous state of health.

Alana had been glad to finally escape from the Wallace Mansion, as her father barely permitted her leave: Hogwarts was her new home, as it always would be. She let go of her luggage and let it fall beside her on the seat.

Alana had shut her eyes for a brisk moment, and had a woken to the soft knocks that the trolley lady had presented. She sat up abruptly and looked through the window doors: where the trolley lady had pointed to the trolley cart as if to say 'Would you like some?'

Alana shook her head a simple no.

The trolley lady almost set off, but somebody had stopped her and given a coin in exchange for some candy. The person then knocked at the glass pane, and waved. Only then had Alana Wallace realized that the fellow student had been Neville Longbottom and he carried a large moving plant that resembled a wobbly cacti, and a box of chocolates.

"Neville," she shot up, and ran to the door and swung it open. She brought her attention towards the plant, asking, "Isn't it a bit ... cautionary to be carrying this plant on the Hogwarts Express?"

Neville handed Alana the box of chocolates and scratched his head curiously. He nodded, "I guess so, but my great-uncle Algie presented me this Mimbulus Mimbletonia as a birthday present. So, it is quite special to me." Alana waved around the box of chocolates, in response Neville stated: "Oh, I saw looking for you and once I had ... I thought maybe you'd enjoy some chocolate as a — present."

"Ah," Alana nodded. "That's very sweet of you, Neville. Thank you."

They both shared the box of chocolates until Alana spoke up again — "Do you know about this ... Educational Decree Number Twenty-Two? I never heard of news at home and all I've heard so far was something to do with the Ministry of Magic." By the end of the train ride every student had known that the Ministry of Magic has been given power to appoint professors — by that, meaning they would have a new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor.

Alana Wallace and Neville Longbottom walked towards the carriages, and when Neville saw Harry Potter, along with his two friends, Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley, strolling behind him — he greeted the lot: "Hi, guys."

"Hey, Neville and ... Alana," Harry nodded, as if he had just figured out her name.

Along voice spoke out towards them both, "Hey there, Neville, Alana."

The two joined the group, collecting into five, all heading towards the carriage that had been waiting. Alana's Hufflepuff robe stuck out from the red Gryffindor robes that the others had been wearing. By the time the lot had approached the carriage, Harry took to a slow pace and stared at the air that had been in front of it. The rest of the group headed up into the carriage where a girl had already been sitting.

"What is it?" Harry called out.

Hermione answered, "What's what?"

"That. Pulling the carriage," Harry pointed out. Everyone looked over to where Harry had been gesturing towards.

"Nothing's pulling the carriage, Harry," Hermione, Ronald, Neville and Alana all looked confused. In response to Harry, Hermione continued, "It's pulling itself, like always."

"You're not going mad; I can see them too," the girl spoke out towards Harry, "You're just as sane as I am."

"Everyone, this is Loony Love..." Hermione paused for a moment as the girl had stared back at her; and then Hermione corrected herself: "Luna Lovegood."

"What an interesting necklace," Neville commented.

"It's a charm actually — Keeps away the Nargles," the carriage began to roll along with whatever Harry Potter and Luna Lovegood had seen pulling it towards Hogwarts castle. Luna looked up, "Hungry — I hope there's pudding."

Harry turned to Hermione, "What's a Nargle?"

"No idea," Hermione answered.