xxxii

"A RESPONSE TO A CALLING"

It had taken Neville a long time to respond to Alana Wallace's letter

It had taken Neville a long time to respond to Alana Wallace's letter. The letter by itself had astonished him, as it seemed to be so informal yet formal at the same time. But who was he to judge her? The letter was only a letter concerning him.

Neville had dealt with the letter early in the morning. The eagle had stayed in his room for the night and rested in a bundle of blankets that Neville had thrown down for the bird.

When breakfast had been given to him by his Great-Uncle Algie, Neville had fed some bacon to the eagle and then started on his letter:

"Alana,

It is good to hear from you. Your reasons about why you have left earlier than expected shouldn't be something you need to worry about. But I do hope for you that your procedure runs smoothly. I've housed the eagle that delivered the letter for the night, and fed him - as that may be because of his indecent tardiness.

My summer is starting out at a rather decent start. My family has congratulated me back to my home, I was gifted rather astonishing presents.

How are your conditions, so far? I am unsure of what to speak about, since we have not spoken for a while.

Missing you, your friend, Neville."

He folded the letter and handed it to the eagle which had gladly taken the parchment with its talon, and hopped to the window of which it had entered.

Neville released the eagle and watched it fly away as he finished eating his breakfast.