31

The next five days were filled with the guys waiting on me hand and foot. Even my father took his share of turns although when he came in to do so it was usually about 7:00 pm and he had a bottle of liquor in his hands.

When my five days were up, we had another visit to Stockton. I still couldn't ride myself, so I was in the van with Phil. He was sweet enough and really concerned with how I was holding up. I was just hopeful Hap would be able to have visitors today.

When we arrived at Stockton, Phil sat outside waiting and Kozik, Juice, and I headed inside.

"Name?" The guard asked once if passed through the metal detector.

"Edith Winston," I said.

"And here to see?" She asked.

"Happy Lowman," I said. She agreed and before long we were taken to the visitation room.

"Edith," his voice carried from the edge of the room as he ran to the table and planted a kiss on my lips.

"Lowman take a seat," the guard snapped. He turned to glare at the guard.

"Hap, please don't get thrown out," I said. He turned back to me and sat down.

"Chibs explained everything," he said.

"You okay?" I asked. He nodded a bit.

"Not the first knife wound, won't be the last," he said with a bit of a shrug. "How's your arm?"

"Good, starting to heal, still can't lift a ton, but Phil's good about helping me out when I need him to," I said. He nodded a bit. I knew Phil and Miles wouldn't be up for a vote until everyone was out. Prospects had to prove themselves to everyone in the club. I could get voted in because I'd started before they went inside. I had about nine more months until my vote was even possible.

"Good. Tell him I said thank you," he said.

"I will," I said.

It fell silent for a second. "Who was with ya?"

"Adam," I said. "He turned his kutte in the next morning."

Happy just nodded at that and seemed to relax a bit. He didn't want to have to deal with a prospect who hadn't defended us when we were literally under fire.

"Have ya been up to see Ma?" He asked.

"Not since I was shot. I can't ride currently. My grip's too weak," I said. "Koz and I are going to go up this weekend though. I think we're gonna try to go stay at least one weekend a month. I'll go as much as I can though."

"She enjoys havin ya around," he said.

"Last time I went she sent so much food back with me I fed the club for two days," I said.

"Her way of showing love," he said.

"I know," I said. The buzzer went off meaning we had just five more minute together today.

"I'm proud of you Edith," he said. I looked up and met his eyes and almost broke into tears.

Happy Lowman was proud of me.

"And you should get some tats," he said. "Not smileys but something small."

"Waiting for the bruise to heal up and I'm gonna get a could of stars," I said. He nodded, apparently liking the idea.

"I love you Hap," I said.

"I love you too little girl," he said. We were ushered out of the visitation room and back out the front door. We were all standing around the van putting our kuttes back on when Marcus Alvarez walked up. Of course none of us were armed, we'd just come from the prison.

"Who's highest ranking?" He asked.

"Probably me sir," Kozik said.

"A word?"

"Phil wait in the van. E, Juice, come with," he said. I knew he'd get his ass chewed out for letting me come with but I'd managed to get a gun into my waistband from the glove box of the van.