Chapter 6

And just like that I found myself sitting in the passenger seat beside Lee yet again. Although the conversation, or rather what constituted as a conversation with her, had begun to spark some confidence in me, I still opted to wear a white long sleeve blouse.

Thanks to the trauma of being tossed in my childhood room and forgotten, I had a great deal of unwarranted anxiety walking through the penthouse, as if I was somehow going to find myself there again before the night was over. Because of this I found myself adjusting my glasses repeatedly, never truly feeling comfortable with how they sat on my face. It was either that or bite my nails and they were already as short as they could be. Maybe I really should've taken up Rosalynn's offer to go to that nail salon.

Lee led me along the path toward my father's office, walking past all those old oil paintings that seemed to silently judge me as we walked. The closer we got, the more I could hear muffled shouting. Instead of opening the doors and entering, Lee motioned toward a chair. With little other options, I sat down.

No matter how much I strained my ears I couldn't make out what was being said. But I knew good and well one of the raised voices belonged to my father. I studied Lee's face. Her body was turned toward the door and her red eyes stared straight ahead as if they had xray vision. She was tense, perhaps ready to fly through that door at a moment's notice.

"Can you hear what's being said?"

Something hard slammed against a wall and made me jump. I hoped it was a chair but it could have very well been a body.

"Yes."

"What are they saying?"

She gave me a glance.

"I'm not allowed to tell you.

The door opened soon after. Two men stomped out. I was trying desperately to get a feel of their energy so I knew ahead of time if the meeting had been a good one but the stoic looks on their faces didn't tell me much.

By the way they moved I knew they were lycanthropes. Regardless of them being broad chested, the pair had a strange animal-like grace that often gave shifters away. One of the men was a bit older. Gray bled into his hair at the temples. His face was clean shaven and his jaw square and strong. When he took notice of me sitting there beside Lee, the stoic air about him changed immediately. There was a cut of his eyes. The man's dislike of me was instant. I could read it all over his face and he didn't appear to care that I could.

Scar leaving the room behind the pair stole my complete attention for a second. She too appeared stoic. All three were dressed as if they'd been headed to a board meeting. Dress pants and suit jackets, although everything about Scar's was a little more form fitting. Her lips weren't as dark as the night before, but there was still a deep color. When she passed she barely gave me a glance.

Lee tapped me on my shoulder when it was our turn. Entering, I went ahead and shut the door behind us. My father's desk was intact although a table was overturned beside a broken lamp. Looking up I spotted a chair poking halfway out of the drywall. Lee took it upon herself to tug it free.

"Thanks, Lee," my father said.

Looking at him one wouldn't know he'd had a heated argument, other than the fact that the sleeves of his dress shirt were pushed up to his elbows. Not knowing where to even begin, I waited for him to start.

"I'll start with an apology." He pushed his sleeves back down to his wrists and buttoned them. "Last night did not go as I had hoped."

"That's really putting it lightly. Don't you think?"

He gave a half laugh.

"When everything happened, my main worry was for your safety. So I told Lee to do the only thing that I was sure would keep you alive until I could understand what was going on."