Chapter 25

Zoey 

For as long as I'd been alive, I had never witnessed a woman command a room. Lee, her forever imposing self, always came close. But in the end it was my father's word that she listened to. It was clear that Ibisi, the Spotted Mother, needed no ones word except her own while sitting like a queen above us.

For most of what had transpired, my eyes were fixated on her, desperate to read the hyena's actions in order to gauge her emotions. As much as I wanted to believe that this could be handled by simply talking, it quickly became clear that Scarlett was never meant to come here with a good reason for what had transpired. She was just supposed to take the punishment for it.

The shouts in the crowd grew until I could barely hear myself think. Instinct had me looking around for any possible exit, any way for us to make it out alive. There were just too many of them. They would devour us down to the bone before we even made it to the stage.

"Ibisi! Please, listen to reason."

My Valkyrie called to the hyena on her throne.

"We would never let rogues move into the city."

Scarlett's eyes now were a blazing yellow. The wolf inside was clawing its way out while her words fought to remain calm in the chaos. It impressed me. Still, I could tell it would get us nowhere. The hyenas wanted violence.

Slowly, I got to my feet. Unlike when I had watched her one sided fight with Deacon, I wouldn't stay silent. I was going to do something. From the corner of my eye I saw someone lunge as I left the protective side of my bodyguard. Percy appeared out of nowhere, shoving them back without even looking.

He breathed hard beside me, a bit of sweat glistening along his skin.

"Demand your favor from Ibisi, NOW."

The demon spoke in a harsh whisper near my ear.

"Demand it, and feed off one of them."

I wasn't sure I'd ever seen Percy so upset and that alone was enough to force me to stumble over my words. What he was asking was something I'd not done in years. He wanted me to use my gift. The idea was both perfect and yet dangerous.

"P-Percy, I-"

"Do it now or else I can't promise you Scarlett is going to leave here alive."

When he put it that way, courage came to me quick. I moved forward again, this time keeping an eye on the crowd to my left. After shouting her name twice and still not being heard over the cackles and chanting for blood, I raised both my hands high.

"Ibisi! I demand my favor!"

It was my demand that eventually got her attention. Brown eyes glanced down at me standing in front of Scarlett and Jake. A frown wrinkled her brow for a moment.

"Speak up, half-breed. You are invoking your right to a favor?" the hyena asked.

I nodded.

"Yes. It was me who freed your hyena and all the others from the lions. I'm sure they've already told you."

I fought the urge to stuff my hands in the pockets of Scarlett's jacket in order to stop my fidgeting.

"She is correct, my Spotted Mother," Percy added with a voice that didn't at all let on to the bit of panic I'd seen in his face moments earlier. "It is Zoey Astor who is responsible for their freedom. I believe Tish could speak to that."

My eyes found the shifter sitting amongst her tattooed sisters. She sent a scowl in the demon's direction.

"She speaks the truth, mother."