Chapter 38

Zoey

"Momma."

The stone faced woman looked down at me.

"No..." she said sternly. "Lee."

I blinked up at her, smiling, enjoying the game.

"Momma."

"Lee."

Four year old me laughed. My legs swung as I sat in the dining room, eating dinner alone as I often did at this hour. It might have been the end of the day for a child, but for a family of vampires, their day was just getting started and I wasn't allowed to be a part of that routine.

Strong hands cut up my food rather meticulously.

"Eat the vegetables first. All of them."

My small arms crossed over my chest.

"No," I said to her, readying my pout. "Not until you do it."

There was a sigh. Child me took that as a bit of annoyance, but with the memory playing out in my head, I heard it for what it was. Defeat.

Lee looked around the empty room before leaning over. I watched the fork dance across my plate, nudging bits of vegetables this way and that until I recognized what I saw. A crude smiley face complete with bits of corn as eyes.

"Better?"

I grinned up at her.

"Thank you..." the word was there, wanting to be said, but I kept it to myself. "Lee."

Everything went black again. Warm blood trickling down my face followed by a bit of pain was enough to make me aware of my surroundings. One of the stone pieces had hit me hard, threatening to knock me out completely. It was thanks to the woman crouched over me that I was still continuing to draw breath.

I could hear her grunting under the weight and feel the soft tendrils of her hair against my cheek. They'd underestimated her and it was about to seal their fate. I was sure of it.

"Are you ready?" she asked in a hoarse whisper. "They can't kill all of them alone."

Blinking the blood from my eyes, I took a shaky breath.

"I think I am."

I felt some of the stones shift around us as she moved.

"There's eleven of them. We just need to kill 10. And you're going to do most of the work. I can't risk another cave in like this."

Her words were spoken quickly and matter of factly, as if she already knew my fears. Losing myself in the mayhem, hurting someone I shouldn't. But there wasn't time for doubts.

"Right. I've got this."

My hands felt the cold metal of daggers in my hand. Keep one alive. That would be my mantra so I wouldn't lose myself like I had on the street that night. Keep one alive to question.

"Do it," I said.

It all happened quickly. One moment she and I were trapped in darkness. The next Lee was standing, sending all the rocks and debris she'd been holding up scattering. I watched a stone smash into one of the wolf's faces, knocking it off its feet. That was the diversion I needed.

I attacked quickly. It was time to let go and let the monster out and yet I found myself still holding on to my current consciousness with both hands. My blade cut effortlessly into the wolf's thick neck. The silver kept the wound from closing immediately, spilling sweet blood into my hands. I plunged my whole face into that gash and fed as deep as I could.