Chapter 58

Scarlett

Jordan pulled Jake from the back of the car. My pack brother had at least 50 pounds of muscle on him yet he held on to the man like he was carrying a bride across the threshold.

"We shouldn't have left," I said, feeling the cool grass at my ankles and the thick layer of dried blood across my face.

"Zoey is where she should be, and so are you."

Jordan stood in front of the car, illuminated briefly by the glow of the headlights before Cam cut them off. Jake moved in his arms, head attempting to lift.

"Let me stand, goddamnit," he grunted.

I swooped in to help, appearing at his side as Jordan began to set him down. We hooked our arms under his to let the man get settled on his feet.

"My guts feel like they're all fucking twisted."

"That's because they are. You're lucky Jordan didn't freeze up like I did."

There were a lot of things I wanted to ask, like how the wolves managed to get inside, those chains had been so thick, even I had been sure it would stop them, but my mind was racing and there was shit to get done. Cam stood in front of us, bare back streaked with lines of red. He sniffed the air cautiously, body going rigid. Then, without warning, a body broke through the tree line, running fast.

Robin's lithe form hit Cam hard as she hugged him. The big man nuzzled her, proving once again he was more teddy bear than brutish muscle.

"We're just about all here," she said, slipping off him and moving toward the three of us. Her green eyes looked me over.

There was still a twinge of sadness in those eyes. I could tell, even after all the fucked up shit that had happened tonight, she was hurt that I'd chosen for her to stay behind.

"What the hell was that... feeling I got a few hours ago?" She asked, balancing on heels even in grass, red hair clinging to the sweat on her cheeks.

"You felt it too?"

"Hell yeah, we all did.... It was..." She shook her head. "I can't describe it, like someone was pulling at me... pulling at my bones." Robyn laughed nervously. "Honestly, I'm not sure how to describe it."

"Well, you don't have to worry about it. You won't feel that hocus pocus again."

Jake grunted his words and gave me a quick look. With Robert either dead or asleep, none of them would have to worry about that powerful magic again. But I caught the look he'd sent, however short it was. Him and I knew that magic was still out there. Maybe not as powerful as what we'd just witnessed... but it existed.

"He's right," Jordan said, "So let's not focus on it. We've got bigger things to deal with tonight."

Sacrament Rock was surrounded by bodies, young and old. Judging from some of the faces, those that tried to hide from the city's drama and politics, only coming when called to let the animal free so they could scurry back to their human life, appeared confused, while everyone else knew exactly what was going on. Jordan slipped free of Jake's arm to let the man stand on his own so he could slip through the crowd and do what he was forced to do, lead.

"I was worried about you shit-heads," Robyn whispered, looking across the three of us. "No more splitting up, alright?" She tried to send me a smile, eyes barely meeting mine this time.

I slipped my hand through her hair for a second. The idea of not trusting her was something I couldn't deal with right now. My friends, brothers and sisters, were what I needed now more than ever.