Chapter 48

Zoey

There was the heavy smell of incense and spice in the air. Turning I could see small wisps of smoke gathering above before fading. The room itself reminded me of Ibisi's boudoir but not. The light was low, easy on the eyes, but there were no tangled sheets and sleeping consorts. Instead there were large black and white photos that were framed and hung along the walls.

Unlike in Dad's penthouse where there was an endless sea of oil paintings, these were photos shot in the heat of the moment. Dark skinned men and women living their lives in modern times in some pictures, while others the era was impossible to tell. African women with shaved heads and ornate necklaces staring boldly at a camera as if it were an adversary they saw no fear in.

Percy stood in front of me. Although he had his smirk in place, I got a sense that he was slightly nervous. With his help, not only had I been permitted an audience with Ibisi, but I'd been able to tell her about the events that led to me leaving my house, in fear the rogues would be after me at some point.

I squirmed in my seat, trying to distract myself with the portraits spread around the room.

"Stop it."

I looked over at the source of the voice and found Tish beside me. All her braids were thrown over one shoulder and, unlike me, she was able to recline on the bench we shared, seeming to not have a single care in the world.

"Now isn't the time to be nervous."

There was an urge to laugh at that but of course I couldn't.

"Okay," I whispered, "Is there a time when I'm allowed to be nervous? She's not said anything to Percy or me in like ten minutes."

"She's thinking about what you just told her. I'm not sure how it's done with the Astors, but it isn't every day the Vampire Lord's daughter comes here looking for advice instead of seeking out her own kind."

And of course, that made me even more nervous. My leg started bouncing and it took Tish reaching over to give my knee a squeeze to make it stop.

"Okay, I shouldn't have said that. Sorry."

She was right, so I couldn't fault her for making me even more nervous than I was.

"And what does my demon think of all this?" Ibisi finally spoke from her large, cushioned chair.

Her twisted locs were still piled high on her head, seeming so very heavy. Instead of the revealing attire I'd first seen her in that night when I was sure she was going to out right kill Scarlett and Jake, tonight she wore a flowing skirt with a bold, orange and brown pattern. The top was of the same material and pattern. It left her shoulders bare but covered her arms while her hands worked.

A child, no older than six, sat in her lap. When I'd first entered and been allowed to come clean about what had happened with the rogues and Deacon, the child's hair had started as thick and kinky while Ibisi brushed it out. But now it had all been tightly gathered in perfect braided rows against the little girl's scalp. Ibisi's fingers had worked quickly, occasionally reaching out for a dab of something to run through her hair. Whatever it was had a lovely warm scent I couldn't place.

"That isn't fair to ask. You know I love a bit of chaos, Spotted Mother, it's in my nature."

His words got a small smile out of her while she continued braiding the little girl's hair.

"But when it pertains to my Ibisi, I say we need to tread carefully. After Robert is asleep, we call a meeting with the new Lady and demand a Parlay, a meeting of the leaders."