Chapter 24

Scarlett 

The sounds on the other side of the double doors were ungodly. High pitch laughter and beastial screams all to a strange rhythm did more than just make the hair on my neck rise, my wolf restless and eager to push past my skin. Had I not been stronger, I was sure it would have done so involuntarily in order to protect itself from the threat beyond the door.

With my shoulders squared, I felt ready for battle. The shirt I wore wasn't the best fit, shoving my breasts up hard toward the collar, giving me slight mounds of cleavage that were more distracting than intimidating. But my feminine attributes had never stopped me before. I'd fought naked beneath the moon more times than I could count, driving anyone who mistakenly took my gender for weakness into the dirt. Sadly, I knew tonight wouldn't be that easy.

Hyenas in human form surrounded us. One in particular took Zoey's silver dagger from her boot using a glove without saying even a word. She looked nervous. In fact she always had difficulty hiding her emotions. Even now I watched her pluck at the sleeve of my jacket that she wore, fidgeting beside me. Knowing I more than likely couldn't protect her from what we were about to face left a bad taste in my mouth. Yet, I had a feeling the demon, who I'd already begun to despise, wouldn't allow her to be hurt if he could.

When the door opened the smell of countless shifters wafted out toward us. Beneath it all was the underlying sweetness of cigar smoke. Men and women lined the walls of what had once been a large banquet hall. Some were fully shifted hyenas, snarling and growling as we entered, while others retained their human form, only some opting for clothes. Sweat slicked skin glistened beneath the low lights. Hands gripped and tugged at the bodies closest to them, fighting for a better view of the wolf and dhampir that were paraded inside before them.

Two, barrel chested men remained close to Zoey and I as we walked. When one hyena lunged in my direction and a heavy boot kicked the animal directly in the head, knocking it back, I quickly understood why they were there.

At the center of the dimly lit room was Jake. It enraged me to see him as he was, on his knees, jeans ripped and torn, allowing his pale skin to be seen. Dried blood spattered his shirt, but when the two of us were led closer I saw no sign of healed injuries.

Biting back my anger, I knelt as we were told and immediately grabbed Jake's strong arm. He looked over at me, both relieved and confused.

"Are you good?" I whispered.

He nodded.

"Scar, we're in fucking grade A trouble."

His eyes were quick to leave me and returned to fixating on something up ahead.

Ibisi was nothing like I had imagined. Over the years I'd met with quite a few shifter leaders, most from just outside the city looking to negotiate deals, be it over shifter territory or Fire and Ice business itself. None of them ever matched Marcus' strength or even his commanding presence, both I imagined got him the rank he had. But if there was ever a feminine counterpart to what he exuded, it now sat on a gold throne in front of me.

The woman's hair was black and twisted into tight dreadlocks that had been styled and piled high like a headdress. Her skin was a light, golden brown that was accentuated by the spotlights falling across her dangerous curves. Sitting on her throne, Ibisi looked like a grand statue above us all with a body ancient civilizations would have worshiped as a fertility goddess and nothing less.

I was speechless.

"Hush!" Her voice boomed.

The Cackle simmered down but threatened to boil over at a moment's notice.