Chapter 27

Zoey

Scarlett bristled.

"Not in a million years."

She turned and stepped toward me.

"Zoey, come on. We're leaving now."

Ibisi laughed and instead of it being an eerie cackle, it was soft, femminine, and unbothered. Taking a draw on her cigar she exhaled slowly.

"Go if you want, but I already know she wants to stay."

Her honey colored eyes looked deep into mine. Somehow she read me like an open book.

"Zoey..." Scarlett repeated.

I looked up at her nervously.

"Scarlett... I want to hear what she has to say first."

Ibisi's smile deepened while I could feel my wolf's disappointment beside me.

"Good."

She flicked ash onto the floor.

"I'm proposing an arrangement with the three of us. Nothing nefarious of course, nothing that would harm either of you. But as you two rise in power I want you to remember the Cackle, and just as you two will not forget me I will not forget you."

I was confused.

"I'm not- My sister is the one taking my father's place."

Her brown shoulders shrugged.

"I'm well aware. But just because you won't have the throne, doesn't mean you won't have power, Zoey. Besides, I know what you're capable of now and that is something I would like to make sure isn't used against me... ever."

"Ibisi, I can already promise you I wouldn't do something like that."

Her fingers snatched at my chin, giving it a little squeeze.

"She's adorable. I can see why you're fond of her."

Unable to move my head I glanced at Scarlett beside me, already feeling guilty for making her stay.

"We can go if you-"

There was something about her that had changed after Ibisi spoke. I could see it in her face which meant so could she.

"What do you mean by power?"

"Power. Ranks. They'll be yours. I can already see it. You're hungry for it, hungrier than most no doubt, which means you'll get fed eventually. And I want to be there when you do... I want to be remembered."

She exhaled a sweet smelling smoke over my head.

"It also means I'm willing to give favors, if need be, to help my little flowers blossom."

I was conflicted. I'd wanted to hear more of what she had to say, especially since she'd witnessed what I could do, but the word power intimidated me. Perhaps because I almost felt even wanting something close to it was betraying my family. Rosalynn was the one who was supposed to have the power. I was just here to help. Maybe even guide.

That was all I wanted right?

"Do it, Scarlett."

A voice that didn't belong to either her or Ibisi caused me to blink. It was Jake. He stood at the tall woman's side, talking close to her ear.

"This is what you need. Just a push in the right direction."

Jake's expression was a serious one.

"Be quiet..." she told him in a harsh whisper.