Chapter 23

Zoey 

It was thanks to Percy that I was able to find some decent clothes and shoes for her. Pulling things from his closet I held them up, trying to imagine her strong body slipping into the fabric. None of it would fit perfectly since he lacked an inch or two of her height, along with the heavy swell of her chest. But it would be enough. In the end I chose a button down shirt and a pair of dark slacks. Glancing up from them I noticed the demon intently watching me rifle through his clothes. 

"Thanks," I said, head still swimming. "What happened on the street would have been a lot worse if you hadn't showed up."

"Thank me when I get you out of here in one piece."

He pushed away from the doorway of his lavish bedroom and moved to me. There was a squeeze of my shoulder

"Nice dagger by the way. Silver coated. Finely crafted..."

I glanced at my ankle, spotting the sheath that was tucked into my shoe. He'd gotten all that information at just one look of it in my hand while we were on the street. Smirking, I almost mentioned that it was a gift from Anders, but I didn't feel like watching him squirm and lie in front of me again. I'd press him for more information at some point, but now wasn't the time.

"Strange how it comes back to you after a while. All it takes is feeling it in your palm for a moment."

A tongue slipped along his bottom lip.

"Love, don't you get me excited or else I'm gonna make your girlfriend jealous."

When I replied with just a look, he tilted his head curiously.

"That was where you were supposed to interrupt me and inform me that she's not your girlfriend. Feel free to do so anytime."

An unexpected laugh tickled my throat. How had he not changed at all in five years? His teasing almost lulled me into a false sense of comfort, as if I didn't have an angry werewolf somewhere being forced into the shower or the leader of the city's hyenas to impress.

"Stop it, Percy. Quit pretending like you've still got a crush on me. I've got bigger things going on in my head right now."

"Well, they're not going to let you take that in there. Security will be a bit strict since seeing Ibisi is typically a great honor."

He motioned to the weapon in my boot.

I'd only begun to think up a response when Percy suddenly went glitchy in front of me. The man was gone and the black creature who seemed to be there but not, took his place. I didn't have to ask him what this meant. Dropping the clothes I pulled the dagger free.

I could hear the door to his expensive suite smash open, banging against the wall.

The creature moved on thin limbs, tail forever thrashing like an angry cat. I moved cautiously behind him, both not wanting to get involved and wanting to protect myself. Percy, as always, didn't need protecting. The demon met the angry hyena's by the time they'd taken a few steps in.

"Why are you guarding the wolf? Tish said you won't let us see her." one of them spat. "They're plotting against us as we speak!"

Instead of offering a response to their question at first, Percy gave a strange hissing sound.

"This space is mine. Get out!"

They saw me standing not far behind the glitching demon whose very existence seemed to promise a future migraine. There was a great deal of anger in their faces, leaving me wondering what narrative had been spun thanks to the pack remaining silent on the werelion situation.

"Tish outranks all of you. Take your qualms to her," he hissed, moving menacingly toward the door.

Unable to take it I was forced to look down at my feet. More words were said but ultimately the hyenas retreated and the door was shut, albeit now with a busted lock. I could hear him muttering under his breath at that. By the time I brought my head up Percy was standing there, running both hands through his shoulder length black hair.

"The meeting has them in a frenzy," he sighed. "They feel their Ibisi's unrest tonight."

"This is unfair to Scarlett," I said, tucking my dagger away again. "They're directing all their anger at her, when she tried to help."

"She's the highest ranking wolf they can get their hands on, so she'll have to do." He hesitated, then turned to me, silver earring dangling. "You oughta know first hand just how unfair your lot in a family can be."

With that he promised he'd be back and left me in his suite to pick up the clothes I'd scattered all over the floor of his room. Of course, his promise to return turned out to be a lie.

-------------------------------------------------------

A/N:  I'm not sure how many Scarlett POV's I plan to have but another is up next...

Thanks for reading! I really love you all <3