Chapter 44

Scarlett

"Talk to her, please," Cam signed. "She's upset... and I'm already getting tired of her texting me about it."

I stood in front of the array of tools, desperate to focus. Everything looked the same and sizes meant nothing while I struggled to pull myself from wandering thoughts that ultimately led me to the same exact place.

I'd lost her.

"I'm not in the mood."

There was the sound of vibration.

Cam pointed to his phone as if to say "See?!"

The name that flashed across the screen said Robyn.

"She's sorry," there was a pause before he continued signing. "She didn't exactly say that to me but I know she is."

Of course. That sounded more like the Robyn I'd known since I was a teenager. Far too proud to outright admit she was sorry. When I'd been younger I'd hated that about her. Winning a fight was impossible because she had an answer for everything. Her apologies, which came eventually, were often physical. Small, gentle  touches, a hug... a kiss. Over time I'd learned to enjoy that part.

I pointed to the endless array of tools. The more I looked at them the more frustrated I was becoming. Cam stepped forward and snagged a few items off the shelf as if he'd known exactly what we needed the moment I'd called him and told him my problem.

Before we'd even made it back to the car I heard his phone going off for a second time in his pocket. We shared a look but that was all.

The townhouse was just as empty as I'd left it earlier that day. Right by the door was my bag holding a month's worth of shit I'd packed. Cam lingered behind me, hesitant to even cross the threshold.

"She's not here," I told him. "She left as soon as the sun was up and I have a sinking suspicion she's not coming back until I'm gone."

"You don't know that."

Maybe not. But it made me feel better believing it. She was gone. No wishful thinking was going to change that.

Cam whistled when he saw the fridge. The front of it was dented in and the hinges that helped it close were bent. In order to get it to close I had to prop a chair against the front and pray it was sealed enough not to ruin the blood packs that were inside.

"It's bad, I know. My temper still isn't the greatest."

"She's better off getting a whole new fridge."

I pulled the chair away so he could better see the damage.

"Well, she doesn't have money like her family does."

And if I'd taken it upon myself to buy one for her, something told me she wouldn't accept it.

Cam didn't say anything to that. After seeing the damage I was sure he could use his imagination in order to see how much of an idiot I'd probably been last night after Robyn's confrontation on the sidewalk.

We worked together for a few hours, attempting to reverse some of the damage I'd done. After trying to change parts, only to realize other pieces were beyond repair, the two of us resorted to using brute strength to bend some of the metal back into place. While we did this, I tried to keep my mind clear and to just focus on the task at hand. Obviously that was close to impossible.

"I think you did it."

I swung the fridge door closed, listening to it catch and remain closed for once. The front was ugly and dented, but at least it could still keep things cold.