Chapter 49

Zoey

The night felt bleak. Cold and full of a light rain that felt more like a mist as it fell slowly. I was able to watch it in the glow of the street lights and, for a few minutes, I allowed myself to believe I was somewhere else. Somewhere... better. For the life of me I couldn't formulate that other place into something truly tangible. Partially because I couldn't think of a real place I wanted to be.

My garden. The newly planted flowers in the backyard with their gold and yellow colors that I could see even in the dark. That was as close as I could come to thinking of a place that gave me comfort. And even then, it was also a place that gave me confusion.

The awning of a closed sub shop gave me some shelter from the rain. I could still smell the fried onions and garlic as I leaned against the damp bring front. Their mascot, a sentient sub with legs and big, round eyes smiled at me from the glass window. The urge to put my fist through its goofy face was almost unbearable.

How could anyone be happy right now when I was more alone now than ever. All that searching and waiting, and rifling through my mentor's possessions had been for nothing. I'd expected him to show up as he so often did, without a word, and help me fix things. Maybe even fix myself. Or, at the very least, show me what path to walk down since right now none of them seemed right.

My hand was shaking when I reached for my phone. With the screen black, I caught my reflection. Broken glasses, hair damp and falling around my face like an ugly mop. I hated what I saw. After all that grand standing in front of Deacon, taking his damn ear after he'd attempted to choke the life out of me, I was back to being a scared little girl.

The sound of my phone springing to life in my palm startled me so bad I nearly dropped it on the sidewalk. It vibrated instead of offering a melody so that I was still serenaded with the rain that fell off the awning above, splashing into growing puddles. My pulse quickened.

I wasn't prepared to see her name come across the screen.

Not answering it was an option. Still, I knew I'd have to suffer through hearing her voice at some point. At the very last minute, I forced myself to answer.

"Hello?"

I could still feel that lump in my throat, threatening to make my voice tremble.

"Don't hang up."

Scarlett's voice on the other hand was raspy. She sounded as if she'd just run a mile.

"Where are you?" she demanded on the other side of the phone.

I pressed the phone against my forehead for a moment, desperate not to sound as weak as I felt. But hearing her... hearing her felt good.

"I-I don't think that's a good idea."

Instead of hearing her speak again, I got the sound of her breathing, soft pants that slowly turned into a growl in my ear.

"Zoey,"

The way she said my name made me swallow hard and want to take back my previous words. Without warning the rain went from that heavy mist to a gentle pour. Puddles grew at my feet.

"I need you."

I couldn't help but feel that word deep in my chest, an anchor pulling my body down. Again my legs went wobbly and again I fought it, determined to be strong and not allow my back to slide down the brick wall of the building. But I was sure the sniffle I gave, betrayed me.

"I'm out on the street. I don't know where I'm going and I can't go home."

"Okay," she said, not needing an explanation. "Then come to my place."