Chapter 41

Zoey

"Nice place," Jake said as he stepped through the door with a few six packs of beer under one arm.

He looked around as if he was inspecting things and I suddenly hoped we'd managed to clean all the old spiderwebs hiding in the corners and that the few mice I'd seen over the weeks were fast asleep in the walls.

Robyn stepped in behind him with Caleb in tow. Tonight she wore fire engine red heels that made my ankles ache.

"This is cute. I can't believe you're letting such a slob stay here with you."

I smiled a little at that.

"She earns her keep by being the muscle around the house."

Caleb said nothing, only shoved a stack of pizzas into my chest as he passed, following behind the she-wolf.

"Thanks..."

Meanwhile Scarlett sat on the arm of the couch while three of her closest pack mates poured in, seeming unimpressed. She perked up only when Jake stepped into her and pushed his head roughly against hers before giving the woman a teasing insult that only a best friend could give. It forced her to crack a brief smile.

I went into hostess mode almost immediately, pulling out plates and offering alternatives to beer which no one partook in. When I'd texted Jake about maybe coming over he had seemed thrilled. So much so that I realized that I'd taken away his best friend for the whole month. Outside of almost dying at the hands of the hyenas, the pair hadn't been together much. And once he'd been invited, of course I had to extend the invitation to the others.

Jake flicked off the top to his beer with his thumb and made himself more than comfortable in the living room, practically melting into the couch. He set his feet on the coffee table only for Scarlett to kick them off seconds later.

"Oh no," Robyn exclaimed, a triangle of pizza in one hand. "Don't tell me you're a fan of these terrible movies too?"

The slender redhead was looking through the stacks of old VHS tapes piled up by the television. I'd managed to label most of the ones we'd found in the attic with a Sharpie. With titles like Slumber Party Massacre and Frankenhooker I could see why my taste could come into question.

"I guess I kinda became one over the past few weeks. Especially since I don't have cable."

"What, no cable?" Jake shoved most of a slice into his mouth. "Call Robert up right now and get him to send the Cable guys here stat,"  he joked, giving his tightly groomed beard a little scratch.

"I'm sort of broke actually," I said with a small laugh that I hoped didn't sound nervous.

"And I don't take family money. So, I'm just coasting on what's left of my Accountant salary till I figure some things out."

That surprised everyone in the room. I could feel it buzzing around in the air and of course see it written all over Jake's face. There was no doubt in my mind that he was terrible at poker.

"Because that's what I did before... coming back... accounting."

Just as I was beginning to think I'd somehow overshared, Scarlett swooped in to save me by pushing the conversation forward.

"Which means watch the pizza grease, Rob. They're prized possessions."

Robyn flipped Scarlett off without even giving her a glance.

I pulled one out of the stack and tugged it carefully from its case.

"Here's a good one. Maybe you'll change your mind."