Chapter 16

We moved out to the formal dining room. Rosalynn's flowers were all around. Larger pale peonies stuffed in terra cotta vases. Seeing the place with a woman's touch still threw me off. They added a hint of sweetness to the air.

The table was an oval shape with one big vase in the center. Rosalynn took a chair at the far end while the other was obviously reserved for my father. Every move she made seems preplanned. Somehow even the simple act of sitting was done with some type of elegance.

Mina, Omari and Rian claimed the chairs on one side while I was happy to claim the two remaining for us. I was forced to look across at Rian but at least I didn't have to worry about him stabbing me under the table.

When we got situated with Scarlett sitting to my left, someone cleared their throat. Looking up I noticed everyone appeared frozen in place.

Scarlett took a calming breath. I heard her piercing click against the back of her teeth briefly.

"Should I... get up?" She asked.

I looked at where she sat near my father's chair and then to Rian who had been the one to clear his throat. He was leaning back smugly, eyes on the woman at my side.

"Are we seriously still doing this?"

"Yes we seriously are," he mocked.

Biting my tongue, I got up and looked around. There was a decorative chair next to a side table covered in fresh peonies. Marching over to it I gripped the solid oak back and dragged it across the floor. The chair legs made a god awful high pitch sound along the tile but it didn't stop me. Once at the table I sat it beside my father's chair. An easy fix.

This time when I sat back down I did so without any hint of grace or elegance. Just annoyance.

"My father's Human Servant left him when I was a kid. We don't talk about it but we got in the habit of leaving an empty chair beside him."

My voice was a hushed whisper but I knew everyone could hear me.

"Don't scoff. Human Servants are one of the highest honors that a vampire could bestow upon a mortal. Our sire has every right to mourn as he sees fit."

Omari was scolding me from across the table, like he used to when I was a child.

"Of course you wouldn't know anything about that."

"I didn't mean-" I began.

"Can Dhampirs not make Human Servants?"

Mina cut me off without so much as a thought. Her own tone was one of shock, as if I was possibly missing out on the greatest thing in life.

"Look at her, what do you think?" 

Rian quickly interjected his slight.

"All of you, hush. Zoey is capable of a lot of things. Who is to say she can't do it if she were to try."

As usual Rosalynn's attempt at taking up for me seemed to make it worse somehow by making me sound like the runt of the litter.

"You all do realize I'm sitting right here don't you? I mean I'm not sixteen anymore. I'm a grown woman."

All of that would've seemed a bit stronger had I not been fidgeting with my glasses out of sheer anxiety while speaking.

Before anyone had a chance to respond, the door to the kitchen opened. Lee stepped out with a serving tray. Decanters filled with crimson liquid sloshing around inside caught my eye immediately.

Rian went to stand.

"Here, let me help you, Lee."

His voice was softer when speaking to her.

"No. Sit."

The woman's words were simple yet Rian did as she said without commenting or putting up a fight which was refreshing to see.

I tried to play it cool when the decanters were spaced out along the table. My mouth throbbed. If I was going to take drinking blood seriously I needed to plan out my feedings. Of course I'd not thought that far ahead yet.

"Robert is running late. He would like it if all of you started without him."

Rian was the first to pour himself a glass.

"If he insists."

I wanted to pour my own glass but didn't trust my hand not to shake with anticipation. Without having to ask, my sister was suddenly pouring that deep, red blood into my glass.

"Make sure you're timing your feedings out right. Too little makes you weak."

She nudged the glass toward me.

"Thanks, Mother."

Rosalynn chuckled and it came out singsong and perfect.

Taking the glass in my hand I told myself to drink slowly. I needed to pace my drinking if I was to remain lucid among my siblings. Getting blood drunk wouldn't be a good look in front of my father.

The first sip was heaven. The ache in my mouth calmed only slightly so I drank deeper on my next sip, then felt an urge to take another.

"We need to discuss a few things tonight before you leave..."

I looked up at her, mid sip.

"That's fine," I said, desperately wanting to go back to focusing on the flavorful blood dancing on my tongue.

"I just need to make sure that I'm going to have your loyalty when this is all said and done."

To hear her speak in such a way raised the red flag I knew would be coming. There were too many code words in that one sentence and, given the company, I couldn't confront her on it yet.

"Right."

When Lee came out a second time, her hair tied back tight against the nap of her neck, she brought out Mina and Scarlett's meals. As expected, the presentation was amazing. Days ago the very sight of raw steak chopped and fashioned into a high end meal would have been enough to get my stomach turning. But all it took was smelling a hint of blood clinging to the meat and I was salivating.

"Lee you've out done yourself! " Mina gushed and even went so far as to clap her hands together excitedly.

"Just pretend like you're enjoying it," I whispered to Scarlett after Lee was far enough away not to hear.

She nudged my knee under the table with the tips of her fingers.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine."

The smile she gave was small but there was reassurance there and it lifted me up just a bit.

For a small amount of time things turned rather cordial. Mina and Omari regaled us all with talks of a summer vacation they were planning overseas. Rian occasionally rolled his eyes but nothing he said could have been construed as rude which I was almost envious of. Rosalynn said little but always made sure that what she did say was positive and upbeat. Of course I knew this wouldn't last. It was far too calm.

----------------------------------------------

A/N: Thanks for reading! I might try to get another chapter edited today <3

Vote if you can :3