Chapter 60

Zoey

My boots sunk into the damp ground, trying to pull me under with every step I took, and yet I managed to keep moving. Adrenaline and anger burned under my skin, making my chest tight. I almost didn't even smell the foul, stagnant water as a fleet of hyenas fanned out around me. They moved like dutiful soldiers, noses to the ground, ears perked up high, knowing exactly who and what they were looking for.

Tish was my shadow. Even though she'd shifted along with her brothers and sisters, I somehow managed to memorize her markings and, when the wind blew just right, taking the dank air with it, I could even smell a hint of her scent, spice and incense, similar to Ibisi.

I watched her arched back move, occasionally catching the moonlight filtered by the overhead branches. Even with my blinding anger I still managed to feel a bit of jealousy while watching all of them move with the same goal in mind. Not one even dared to stop to question the Spotted Mother's decision to move on the Neutral Land. They were one.

But even though I could occasionally catch hints of Tish's scent, their noses were searching for something I could never find. Marcus.

"Jesus Christ..." I muttered, slapping the back of my neck.

Spring had just begun and the bugs were taking advantage of this fact already. Although this wet, Neutral Territory was the perfect breeding ground for them.

I heard the hyena snort up ahead, the hair along her back bristling. When I came upon Tish she was pawing at the ground. Remnants of a campfire stared up at me. If the rogues had taken to hiding in the territory meant solely for the lesser groups, I had no doubt we'd find quite a few makeshift camps. Kneeling, I let my hand touch the charred wood. It was still a little warm.

We pushed on. I could hear the others in the dark, trampling through the brush

I couldn't see Ibisi, but somehow I could feel her out there in the dark, knowing exactly what shadows to hide behind in order to not be seen. While we moved, I noticed Tish's hackles rise before the sound had even reached my ears. That underbrush rustled in the distance. I had to fight to keep up with their four legs on this uneven terrain, but I wasn't letting up. This was my idea, my plan, and I would bleed right beside them if it came to it.

There was a flash of gray and white fur. Wolves. My worst fear was not knowing if they were pack or rogues, but I was forced to trust the hyena's nose. The moon, nearly completely full and swollen, hug above, the glow just barely able to push through the foliage. In those pockets of bluish light I could see the large wolves holding their ground while we burst through a tangle of thorn filled vines.

Tish was smaller than the wolves, but appeared not to know that herself. Or she just didn't care. I knew that feeling all too well.

With thorns ripping away at my pants, cutting at my skin, I drew the daggers. She attacked first. Although smaller, Tish's jaws were strong. The moment the hyena clamped down on the muzzle of the first wolf, it appeared almost as if her jaw locked as she dug her paws in and didn't let go. The animal panicked and attempted to toss her aside, but she remained steadfast. I reached her before any others could, cutting down the wolf. I'd just turned to face the second when three other hyenas bowled into its thick body.

But there was no time to stop. Tish was moving, as were a few others. They were on the trail of something. I put my body to the test in order to keep up. Gaining on them when they put their noses down to scent the air. In the distance I could hear a few more howls that told me there were other wolves out here in the dark with us. But Tish in the others, didn't seem to care, even as their pointed ears flicked, picking up their cries.