10. Glass Breaker!

(Author's Note: dedicated to TheGoodShip_55 and their entry for the ONC - The Movers, a gay paranormal mystery)

The Rider was very charismatic, and very persuasive.

Ben took the proffered mirror in one hand and the Rider's hand in the other. He couldn't tell which was responsible for the electric tingle that ran through his body from his head to his toes. The tiny hairs stood up on the back of his neck, and Ben tightened his grip. This was it, he couldn't back out now.

"Ciara? Could you hold the mirror for me?"

Ciara stepped forward, tilting the mirror so that Ben could touch the glass with all five fingers. He tried to repeat what he had done before, but it was hard to concentrate with all the distractions, not least being the strong, warm hand holding his.

Ben closed his eyes and lightly touched the mirror, just for a moment. Nothing happened and he tried again, this time letting his fingertips rest a little longer. Unconsciously, they began to move in smooth circles over the surface. Ben began to relax. The glass felt warm and comforting, almost as if it was welcoming him home.

"See? I told you!" Uldon's cry was gleeful.

Startled, Ben jumped back and the glass shattered, just as it had done before.

"Impressive," murmured the Rider through gritted teeth. The glare he directed at Uldon made the mage swallow nervously.

"Let's try that one more time without the screeching!"

Dutifully, Ciara selected another small mirror from the cupboard and brought it over.

But the same thing happened. It seemed Ben had no difficulty slipping his hand into the mirror, however, as soon as he attempted to withdraw his hand, the glass shattered. Uldon and Ciara both winced as the shock rippled through the ether for the third time that day.

"I'm sorry. I can't seem to help breaking them," said Ben, ruefully. Casually, he released the Rider's hand, which he realized he was still holding in a tight grip.

"I'm sure that will come with practice," said the Rider, in bracing tones.

"Perhaps." Ben was doubtful. "Though I think what I really need is training, someone to explain the process to me. Tell me what indicators to look for."

"'Training?'" The Rider spoke as if it were a foreign word.

Perhaps they had struck their first language barrier, thought Ben. Up until now, speech here had been pretty much what he was used to, with the exception of those rather quaint, "thou"s and "thy"s.

"Teaching? A coach? Someone, to explain the rules to me." Ben sought for different words.

"Thou want to be a Mage's apprentice?" The Rider sounded surprised, even a little shocked.

"I suppose I do. Is that a problem? I thought that was the way you did things here. Isn't Ciara Uldon's apprentice?"

"Well, yes, but..." The Rider gestured to Uldon to explain.

"A Glass Walker is the highest level a Mage can aspire to. Glass Walkers take on apprentices. They don't become one."

"I see. My case is different though, isn't it? I haven't had all those years of experience on Rhillion to learn the ropes... to build up my skill base."

"He has the right of it," Ciara said, softly.

"Perhaps. But I am no Glass Walker, I cannot take him on," declared Uldon.

"But what about that place you mentioned, the Mages' headquarters, Vierrac? They must have Glass Walkers there who could help me."

The Rider and Uldon exchanged glances that Ben could not interpret.

"We'll see," said the Rider. "The Guild Master's envoy will be here in a few days, we can discuss the matter further then."

"Thank you, I think I should wait for their arrival before trying any more magic – I don't want to break any more mirrors!"

"Perhaps he is right," Uldon conceded, looking dubiously at the broken glass on the floor. "These are beyond repair. And they aren't easy to replace."

For a moment, Ben thought the Rider was going to insist, but then he sighed. "I agree. No more glass walking. Though perhaps thou could give him a small glass to practise lamp lighting."

"Of course, my lord."

Ben felt he'd had quite enough of mirrors for a while. He wanted to explore the Keep. He wanted to get out into the open air, stretch his legs and breathe. To see more of this world than these white walls.

"A few days, you said? Is there something else I can do in the meantime to be of use?"

The Rider and Uldon exchanged another glance.

"I hear the stables could do with another helper," suggested Uldon, with an innocent expression.

What was it with the horses? thought Ben. The steward, Holt, had an odd look on his face when he mentioned them, too. Perhaps people here were frightened of them, or else they didn't like the dirty job of mucking out stalls, neither of which was an issue for Ben.

"Sure! I'd be happy to help." He was going to add that he'd grown up all his life with horses but then he bit his tongue. Perhaps the horses on Rhillion were different from those on Earth, perhaps they were a different animal entirely.

Uldon looked like he had just bit into a lemon but the Rider was lit up, as if someone had flicked a switch. Evidently he found horses more engaging than magic.

For the first time, Ben wondered if "Rider" was more than just a quaint title.

"Really? Come with me now, and I'll show you." The Rider spun on his heel.

Ben didn't wait to be asked twice. He followed the other man up several sets of stairs until they came out on to what appeared to be a roof garden, lined with strange potted trees and shrubs. He looked up and was thrilled to see that the sky had a distinctly greenish tinge, more of a faded aqua than the familiar vibrant blue of Earth. Maybe this really was a different world.

When he looked down again, the Rider was disappearing down an external staircase. Ben hurried after him.

The courtyard they entered was covered with cobblestones, reminiscent of older historic homes Ben had visited in England. White buildings of various shapes and sizes made the courtyard a large enclosed square, and the Rider strode across the middle, heading for a low squat building on the opposite side.

A familiar aroma drifted across the open air. Ben filled his lungs. The air certainly smelt like Equus ferus caballus. Almost. Ben quickened his step.

(Author's Note: this marks the halfway point! 10,0091 words according to Wattpad, not counting all my Author's Notes! )