37. An Unexpected Appearance

Lucian stared at the small glass in his hand, feeling frustrated by the poor communication.

Ben's reflection kept fading in and out as he tried to gain control of his own tiny mirror.

"A veltor? Near Mallow's Hold? Is the Rider certain?"

"Very! He has the scar to prove it. And I came across a dead pardu which had been torn to pieces on my way here. I saw tracks nearby, like from a huge bird with three toes on each foot, bigger than my hand."

Lucian had never seen a live veltor but he had heard enough stories about them to realise how dangerous they were. If veltors were on the move again, they had a potential crisis on their hands.

"That's disturbing, we haven't seen veltors in settled lands for years. I'll alert the surrounding Holds in case there are more of them. As it is, we'll have to hunt the creature down and kill it. Hopefully, before it does any more damage."

Ben nodded. "Holder Mallow is organizing a hunting party at this moment."

"How is the Rider? You said he was attacked by the veltor?"

Lucian caught the word "serious" before Ben's reflection flickered in and out and his voice faded. Lucian gripped the mirror tightly until Ben reappeared.

"Say that again? It sounded as if you said you were taking the Rider to my home in England. To Wentworth Manor."

"Yes, I'm going to try, anyway. I want to get him to a hospital for treatment. They were getting ready to amputate his leg."

"But, he's no glass walker... how will you get him there?"

"I'm going to carry him on my back."

Was he crazy? Lucian shook his head, fighting to stay calm. "That's impossible. It can't be done."

"I think it's worth a try," answered Ben, in an annoyingly reasonable voice.

"You don't understand! Such a thing is dangerous. I've never heard of anyone being able to take another person through the glass. I remember the last two who tried it, they-" His voice broke off, as he remembered the two youths, full of spirit, the older wanting to show off his newly learned skills to his brother.

"What? What happened to them?"

"I don't know. They never came out."

"Well, to be honest, there might have been several reasons for that. Perhaps they went through a mirror into a different world and chose to stay. Or more likely, something happened and they couldn't get back. The few worlds I caught a glimpse of were dangerous places."

"Maybe so, but-"

"I think it's worth a try," repeated Ben firmly. "The Rider is prepared to risk anything, even death, for a chance he might be able to continue to ride."

"Damn the Rider. What about you?" murmured Lucian softly.

"What was that?"

Lucian could tell Ben was determined. Nothing he could say would stop him. All he could do was hope he stayed safe.

"Nevermind. I'll see you when you get back."

Or I could go with you. Between the two of us, we might be able to manage.

But before he could tell Ben his idea, he was interrupted by a sudden shout from the rooms below, causing him to break off before he was ready. Raised voices continued to echo up the stairwell. What in Rhillion's name was going on? He looked back at the glass but Ben had gone. Angrily, Lucian thrust the mirror into a pocket and strode off to investigate.

Half way down he was met by a young apprentice running up the stairs. Her face was red with effort.

"Mage Althor! Guard Tsenor sent me! It's Mage Eldor!" She stopped for breath.

Eldor! He might have known, thought Lucian. "Yes? What's he done now?"

"He's back! Here in Vierrac. In his own rooms."

"What?"

"Can thou come? Guard Tsenor has asked for thee."

Lucian followed close on her heels. Was Eldor mad?

Tsenor met him at the door to Eldor's chambers, with a very peculiar expression on his face, though his words were innocuous enough.

"Mage Althor, I thank thee for coming so fast."

"The noise alone would have drawn me, if nothing else!" retorted Lucian with a grim smile. "What in Rhillion's name is happening here? Is Eldor really foolish enough to return to face the consequences?"

"Ah, Althor, charming as always." Eldor's smooth tones came from inside the room. He appeared behind Tsenor's shoulder, his light blue eyes hooded under pale lids. "Exactly what consequences are we talking about here?"

"Thou tried to murder the Guild Master!"

"Did I?"

"Thou knowest full well! Thou injected him with hemal. There was enough in the syringe to kill a man. If I hadn't stopped thee, thou would have killed him."

"Interesting, but I remember things differently."

"Differently? What do thou mean, differently? How?"

"Thou were the one with the hemal. It was I who saved the Guild Master, from thee. T'was only the arrival of thy henchman that over-powered me. I don't know what would have happened if Tsenor had not arrived at that point."

Lucian couldn't believe his ears.

"What Banbury tale is this? The Guild Master knows full well it was thee who attacked him. As soon as he wakes, he will tell us all the true story."

Eldor smiled, seemingly untroubled by Lucian's angry denial.

"Indeed he will. As soon as he wakes... I understand he has yet to rouse?"

"That is so, but Ben Lucas can bear witness to my account in the meantime."

"I'm sure he could, if he were here. Perhaps thou could summon him now, to tell us all exactly what he saw. Where is the young man?"

Damn him, thought Lucian. He must have heard Ben was away.

"He's at Rider's Keep."

"I see. How unfortunate. Well, we shall both have to wait then, until the Guild Master awakes and settles the matter between us." Eldor turned to Tsenor. "In the meantime, I assume I am free to go about my business as usual?"