35. Mallow's Hold

Despite the queasy feeling in his stomach, Ben made himself take a closer look at the wounds on the dead pardu. The bite marks were huge. His first thought was a lion-like animal, but a second look at the shape of the bites, narrowing to more of a point, reminded him of a past visit to a crocodile farm on the Gold Coast.

But a crocodile inland, this far from water didn't seem at all likely. He took a few steps back and studied the ground. Much of the sand nearby was furrowed and churned by the struggle, but further back he could see distinct hoof marks where the pardu had run for its life. Three forked toes imprinting deep in the ground, the strides over a metre apart, must belong to the predator. Not what he had expected at all. Could it be some sort of giant bird? He knew emus had feet like that but they had small beaks, not huge jaws. Evidently, he had stumbled across a species indigenous to Rhillion.

Ben mounted Alizay and rode on toward Mellow's Hold, scanning the surroundings now for threats as well as traces of the Rider. The mutilated corpse of the pardu had been a shock. If the Rider had been attacked by the same predator... it was a terrifying thought. He couldn't see how he would have survived. Though, Lio had returned to the Keep unhurt, so that was hopeful.

Although the wind was disturbing the ground, every so often he saw traces which he thought belonged to Lio. Those signs gave him confidence that the Rider was still somewhere ahead of him. If he reached Mellow's Hold without finding him, he would ask for help with the search. A group of people on foot could cover the ground much more thoroughly than one individual.

From a distance, Ben had been able to see the small cluster of roofs crowning Mellow's Hold, but when he drew close the roofs disappeared, hidden behind high stone walls. A wise precaution, he thought, in view of the predators so close by.

A heavy wooden gate, fortified with iron shafts barred the entrance. Voices calling, chickens squawking, carts rattling over cobblestones, all the sounds of a busy settlement, filled the air. Fortunately, Ben spotted a long rope with a bell at the top, hanging down beside the gate. He climbed down from Alizay and gave it a hearty pull.

Almost before the jangling died away, a small panel in the door slid back and an elderly face peered out.

"Is it thou, Brunner? I've told thee before-" The querulous voice ended abruptly. "Who art thou?"

"Good day, sir. My name is Ben Lucas. I'm a new Mage at Tower Vierrac, but I've ridden from Rider's Keep. The Rider is missing."

"The Rider?" The face disappeared and there was a loud grating sound as one side of the gate swung slowly open. An elderly man, dressed in well-worn trousers and a dusty smock, stood there, staring at Ben with a curious expression on his face.

"That was quick! We only sent the message bird an hour or so ago. Well, don't just stand there. Come on in, and bring thy horse."

Even before the man had finished speaking, he had begun to close the gate and Ben hurried through, quickly pulling Alizay with him. His hopes rose. It sounded as if they knew what had happened to the Rider.

Ben turned eagerly to the gate keeper. "You've found the Rider? How is he?"

The gatekeeper didn't return the smile but looked solemn.

"Inside. With the healer."

"He's hurt?"

"Thou had better come and see for thyself."

Heart sinking, Ben followed.

The Hold consisted of a central courtyard lined with cobblestones, enclosed by four large rectangular buildings. Judging by the smell wafting through open doors, the nearest was a barn, housing livestock and feed. Next to that was a shed, containing a large cart and farm equipment. The remaining buildings were more substantial. Two stories each, built of limestone with a multitude of windows, some shuttered against the sun. Evidently, the Holder's quarters and that of the farm workers, unless they stayed out with the animals.

The gate keeper led Ben inside the larger of the two houses, into a hall reminiscent of the medieval great halls Ben had seen in England. A flight of stone stairs led up to the next level, but his guide led him through the hall toward an open door. Before they reached it, a grey-haired woman dressed in trousers and smock like the gate keeper, but cleaner and of better quality, came out to greet them.

"Mage Lucas, Holder. Here to see about the Rider," explained the gate keeper, quickly.

"I'm pleased to meet you, Holder."

"Welcome to Mallow's Hold, Mage Lucas. I am Mallow."

She gave him a curious look. "Thou are from Vierrac? Thou have a strange way of speaking."

"I have only recently arrived on Rhillion, from what you call the mirror worlds. I have yet to learn your customs, so please excuse any mistakes I make." Ben paused. "I understand you know the whereabouts of the Rider?"

Mallow's voice was somber. "He is here, but I'm afraid he is badly injured. Billoa, our healer, is with him but, I'm not sure there is much she can do..." her voice trailed away. "'Tis best if thou come and see for thyself." She turned abruptly and led the way back through the open door and along a passage to a room at the far end. Mallow opened the door and gestured for Ben to enter first, speaking softly as she did so.

"Billoa? Mage Lucas is here from Vierrac, to see the Rider."

Ben went in hesitantly, fearing what he was about to see.

The room was dark and smelt of blood.