24. Confrontation

The white stonework of Tower Vierrac was dazzling close up. Only the occasional window, carved into the stone, broke the facade. No matter how much dust the winds might blow and the rains splatter, the stone never seemed to get dirty. Whether it was due to nature, or more likely a long-lost magic, no-one knew for certain; the story of Vierrac's creation was buried in the mists of time.

The building rose from the cobblestones, reaching for the sky like a handful of fingers clutching the air. The towers might soar but the base was rooted firmly in the ground, a hollow cube of a building supporting four towers, one at each corner, each one twice as high as the next, the principal tower soaring above them all at the rear.

The gate into the square courtyard was open when Lucian approached, his eyes half shut against the dazzle, and a uniformed guard standing beside the entrance waved him through with a respectful nod. The horse picked up speed as it recognized home and headed toward the stable without waiting for Lucian to guide it.

Normally, Lucian would groom and stable the horse himself, particularly after such a long journey together, but this time he felt far too agitated to do the job with the calmness it required. He handed the reins over to a stable girl.

"Take good care of him, if thou would. He's had a long three days on the trail."

"Of course, Mage Athol." She nodded.

Freed from his responsibilities, Lucian strode off toward the tallest tower.

With the exception of those few who preferred placements in smaller communities such as Rider's Keep, Tower Vierrac was home to most of the country's mages and apprentices. Quarters were allocated according to a person's level of magery; the smallest tower held the newest apprentices, and so on, up to the highest tower which accommodated only the most experienced mages, including the Guild Master. Lucian himself had rooms in the tallest tower. So did Eldor.

Pounding up the stairs to Eldor's quarters, Lucian gave himself no time to reconsider. He had no doubt whatsoever that Eldor was behind the attack on Ben. He flung open the door, allowing it to hit against the wall with a crash. Eldor spun around on his stool, his mouth falling open in alarm. In a flash, Lucian crossed the room and, seizing him by the shirtfront, hoisted the other mage onto his feet.

"What did thy men do to him?" he demanded.

"What? Who? What are thou talking about?" Eldor's brows twisted in confusion.

Lucian clenched his teeth. He might have known Eldor would deny everything. He tightened his grip.

"The newcomer, Ben Lucas. What did thy men do to him?"

"Oh, him! Was that his name?"

To Lucian's fury, Eldor relaxed in his grip. "Always so forceful, Athol," he murmured, with a mocking smile, his fingers coming up to rest lightly on Lucian's clenched hands.

"But really there's no need for these dramatics. All I did was arrange for him to be out of the way until after the solstice. They were to give him enough hemal to put him to sleep for a couple of days. Why? Did something go wrong with my plan?"

"Yes!" Lucian hissed the word. "Whatever orders thou gave, he felt threatened enough to escape through the room's mirror."

"Did he though!" Eldor exclaimed, startled. "I didn't know a tavern would have any mirrors of that size."

"No, well, Ben has vanished and there was broken glass on the floor. What other conclusion is there?"

"But where did he go?" A faint frown of worry appeared on Eldor's face for the first time. "There has scarcely been time for him to lay down any paths. He must have gone back to Rider's Keep." The frown faded. "If so, that might work just as well. It will take him days to return here, even if he wants to. I hear the Rider is an extremely charismatic man," he added, slyly.

Lucian only just stopped himself from knocking Eldor to the ground.

"I haven't heard that the mirror at Rider's Keep has yet been repaired. No, I think it far more likely that Ben has returned home, to his own world." Lucian's eyes were bleak.

"Well, then, it's all turned out for the best, hasn't it? I'm sure that's what he wanted all along. There was no need to make such a fuss about it!" Eldor declared, suddenly impatient. "Thou can let me go now. I have work to do before tomorrow."

Reluctantly, Lucian released his grip on Eldor's clothes.

"I won't forget this, Eldor."

The other mage shrugged. "It's the solstice, Athol. Everyone who might be a rival is fair game."

"How could Ben possibly be a rival? He's only just arrived on Rhillion!" Lucian protested. "And he breaks every mirror he tries to use!"

"Even so, it wasn't worth the risk. He's the strongest person in feeling the ether that I've ever known. Who knows what he might do if he were allowed to challenge? In any case, it's all sand through the hands now. He's gone, and that's the end of it. Thou would do better to concentrate on honing thy own skills for the solstice, rather than worrying about him."

Eldor went to stand by the door, obviously waiting for Lucian to leave. "Go, now. I'll see thee soon enough tomorrow."

Lucian left, hearing the door close and lock behind him. He was about to seek his rooms for a well-needed wash and change of clothes when he changed his mind and took the stairs up to the scrying room instead. Eldor's words rankled, despite his better judgement. It wouldn't take long to check what was happening at Rider's Keep. He would be able to see, if anyone was using the ether.