19. Eldor

(Author's Note: dedicated to RogueWriter55 and their ONC story, Rise of the Genie, which I really hope they go back and finish one day, I really enjoyed the chapters which were posted)

Night had fallen when the Guild Master made his usual journey up the stairs to the scrying glass. The day after tomorrow would be the longest day of the year, the summer solstice. He expected that Athol would return with the new comer before tomorrow's end but he wanted to check their progress and make certain.

He got a small shock to see another mage was there in the room before him, standing over the glass. The other mages were free to use the glass, of course, but usually they confined their use to the daylight hours. Everyone knew Midor preferred to study the glass after dark and he had become accustomed to having it to himself.

Eldor spoke over his shoulder without turning. "Fair evening, Guild Master. I see Athol has made good time. Is his companion the one who caused that disruption in the ether a few days ago?"

"Fair evening, Eldor. Yes, it is." Midor saw no point in denying the obvious.

"Interesting. He's very strong, isn't he?"

"It would seem so," Midor answered, a bit more cautiously.

Eldor turned to face him for the first time and held his gaze. His eyes seemed to bore into Midor's. "Too strong, perhaps?"

"I'm not sure what thou mean..." The Guild Master demurred, uncomfortable with Eldor's intensity.

"Aren't thou?" Eldor paused for a moment, as if waiting for Midor to retract and agree with him. The silence was just becoming awkward when suddenly Eldor smiled.

"Never mind. I guess we shall find out tomorrow, when he arrives, won't we?"

He let his gaze drop, the smile still on his lips, and headed toward the door. "I'm for my bed. I'll leave thou to study the glass in peace, Guild Master."