45.Interlude

The briefing with Tsenor went better than expected. Ben was able to give a clear account of what he had witnessed in the scrying room that day, Lucian and Eldor fighting for control of the syringe while the Guild Master lay senseless on the floor. It was true he hadn't seen who had attacked the Guild Master, but he could swear to Tsenor that Eldor's had been the hand holding the syringe and Lucian the one trying to wrestle it from his grasp.

Tsenor promised to brief the rest of the guards. If Eldor ventured to return to Vierrac, he would be seized and held in a room—without mirrors—to wait until the Guild Master recovered and decided what to do with him.

A visit afterwards to the room where the Guild Master lay, was less encouraging. A young woman sat beside the unconscious Mage, sewing a button onto a brown smock. A small mirror lay on the bed beside her, unused for the moment. She looked up as they paused in the doorway.

"Fair day, Mages."

"Fair day, Myla." Lucian addressed the apprentice. "How fares thy patient?"

"Not well. He neither eats nor drinks. We moisten his lips with water but he does not swallow."

Ben frowned. That didn't sound good at all. He stared at the man lying on the bed, a clean white cover pulled up to his chin. Previously he had thought of Midor as middle-aged, but now he looked old. Lines carved his face and his skin was an unhealthy shade of grey, rivalling the shade of his hair which fanned limply across the pillow. Ben couldn't help thinking that if they'd been back on Earth, Midor would have been on a drip. And maybe a blood transfusion.

For a split second he considered taking the Guild Master back to Earth for proper treatment but just as quickly discarded the idea. It would be foolish—and possibly dangerous—to make a habit of the practice. Once had been risky enough. Midor would just have to take his chances on Rhillion, as everyone else had been doing here for centuries.

How long had it been since he'd been drugged? It must be two days now, possibly more. It was hard to keep track of time with all the glass walking he'd been doing.

"Has he stirred at all?" asked Lucian.

"No. Even when I turn him, he doesn't wake. If he doesn't rouse soon, the Healer will try fendalin."

"'Fendalin'?" queried Ben. Lucian looked grave.

"It's a stimulant. But it's dangerous and only used as a last resort."

"Dangerous?"

"It can be fatal."

All three looked down at the figure on the bed. The slight rise and fall of the cover as he breathed, were the only signs that Midor was alive.

"But it could neutralise the hemal? If it was successful?" Ben asked. To his mind, it was worth the risk. He thought Midor didn't have much to lose, he certainly wasn't getting any better as things were now.

"To some extent, but more importantly, it would return him to his senses. Allow him the ability to eat and drink, and have natural sleep, so that his body could recover and strengthen."

Lucian addressed Myla.

"Will thou let me know when the Healer arrives? I have matters I'd like to discuss with her."

"Certainly, Mage Althor."

"I'll be upstairs in the scrying room and then in my quarters, for the next hour or so, if thou could send someone to find me."

Myla nodded. "I will."

"The scrying room?" queried Ben, as he followed Lucian upstairs.

"We need to let Ciara, or someone at Rider's Keep, know what is happening," Lucian told him over his shoulder. "Give them some idea of how long the Rider will be away."

"Oh, right," said Ben. "I calculate that Earth time is about twenty-five times longer than time on Rhillion. That means a day here will be around twenty-five days on Earth."

"That explains why Eldor was so surprised to see us! It must have seemed like I'd been away only a couple of minutes instead of nearly an hour."

"True enough," agreed Ben. "I think I should return to the manor tomorrow and bring the Rider back. I don't want to leave him there any longer than I have to. I imagine he's already champing at the bit to get home and take care of the horses! And we shouldn't impose further on Melissa, either. Twenty-five days should be plenty of time for his wound to have healed."

"It's still hard to believe the time difference." Lucian shook his head. "Even though I've seen the truth of it for myself." He opened the door to the scrying room. "If I'm not needed here tomorrow, I'd like to come with you. I'd appreciate a chance to look around my old home. See all the changes. I saw a little bit when I was going through the house looking for you, but I expect there's a lot more to see."

"No worries. I'm sure Melissa would be thrilled to show you around," agreed Ben.

Ciara must have been waiting for the summons because she was there almost immediately, looking back through the glass. Her face was pale and drawn, as if she had slept poorly.

"Good news," said Ben, cheerfully. "The Rider is being cared for by a relative of Mage Althor and even better, the journey between the worlds managed to halt the infection. I plan to return for him tomorrow, and all being well, I should be able to bring him back to Rider's Keep, healed and hopefully fit enough to ride again, as soon as the new mirror arrives. I hear it's already on its way to you."

Ciara looked as if she didn't quite believe him, but was too polite to say so. "That soon? But how...?"

"Don't worry about the details, just take my word for it," Ben attempted to reassure her. "Then tomorrow or the next day, you can see for yourself. Let us know the moment the new mirror arrives. I'll need the full-sized one for the two of us."

They said farewell and Lucian led the way to his quarters. He ushered Ben inside, closing the door behind them, then put an arm around his shoulders, drawing him near.

"So, what did he taste of?"

"What?"
"The Rider. What did he taste of when he kissed you?"

.