33. Trouble!

Lucian spun around and hurried out of the kitchen, Ben close on his heels.
"What is it? Do thee know any more?" Lucian flung the words over his shoulder.

"Sorry, sir," panted the messenger. "That's all I was told. Apprentice Mage Ria sent me."

In a matter of moments, Lucian and Ben were back in the scrying room. A young mage who was a stranger to Ben, was standing by the scrying glass, an anxious look on her face.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, Mage Althor, but the Guild Master is indisposed and I can't find Mage Eldor anywhere."

"Thou were right to call me, Ria," affirmed Lucian, as he strode across to the glass.

Expecting to see the Rider, both men were surprised—and perhaps a little disappointed—to see Ciara on the other side.

Ciara's brows were pinched together in worry as she peered out at them, her tone urgent as she spoke. "Please, may I speak to the Guild Master? It's important."

Lucian stepped closer so that she could see him more clearly. "I'm sorry, Ciara, the Guild Master is unavailable for the moment. Can I help?"

"Is it Eldor? Has he turned up at the Keep?" asked Ben.

Ciara looked confused. "Mage Eldor? No, it's the Rider. He's missing!"

"Missing? What do thou mean?"

"He went out yesterday morning and hasn't come back!"

Ben frowned, to be honest he couldn't see what the fuss was about. The Rider was a grown man, surely it was up to him if he stayed out overnight. The Keep was a very small community, he must feel like breaking out from time to time. Ben glanced at Lucian, but his face was set in grim lines, looking as if he was taking this seriously.

"When were thou expecting him to return?"

"Last night, before sunset."

"Where did he go?"

"South. He was going as far as Mellow's Hold. He received a message from Holder Mellow late the evening before. There's no mage at Mellow's Hold so the message had to come by bird. I don't know what it said exactly, but I do know the Rider was worried enough to take Lio and go and see for himself. They set out at dawn. He said he'd better go and investigate in person, before raising any alarm."

"Alarm? Why would they want to raise an alarm?"

Ciara shrugged helplessly. "I don't know, I'm sorry. He didn't tell me."

"Would Mage Uldon know more? Is he there?"

"Unfortunately, Mage Uldon is away at present, visiting his family. I don't expect him back until tomorrow. He wasn't here when the message arrived so I don't think he knows any more than I do, but I could contact him if thou think it important."

"Never mind," said Lucian, quickly. "Leave it with us. Let me know if—when—as soon as the Rider returns."

"Of course, Mage Athol. I thank thee!"

Ciara disappeared from view.

"Where is Mellow's Hold?" Ben asked. "Is it far from Rider's Keep?"

"Due south. Perhaps fifteen miles? One of the Rider's horses should easily be able to make the return journey in a day, they are bred for such endurance."

"What sort of trouble are they likely to have at Mellow's Hold?"

Lucian shrugged. "I don't know. I've never been there in person, but I do know it's one of the newer Holds. It's built on the edge of the Grasslands, where they merge into the foothills of the Vanda Ranges. They run pardus there, a sort of cross between a sheep and a goat," explained Lucian, seeing Ben's blank expression. "Pardus have very fine fleeces and their meat is quite edible too. In fact, you had some just a moment ago. We get it here fresh sometimes, though it's usually salted, of course."

Ben nodded. Salted. Of course. There was no refrigeration here in Rhillion, at least none that he had seen.
"It's hard to imagine what could have happened there to warrant raising an alarm." Lucian was frowning.

"A fire?" Ben's thoughts sprang immediately to the most common disaster in his own world.

"No, they would have handled that themselves. Or, if they needed help, they would have simply asked for it. Not sent cryptic messages."

An idea popped into Ben's head.

"Would you like me to go and investigate? I think you are probably needed here in Vierrac, at least until the Guild Master is back on his feet."

Lucian looked doubtful but Ben was fast becoming enamoured of the idea. Not only could he prove his usefulness but he could explore more of this world while he was doing it. It would be an adventure.

"If I could find a way to travel through the mirrors back to Rider's Keep, I could take one of the horses the rest of the way. I know how to ride. I could be at Mellow's Hold tomorrow."

Ben hurried over to the darkened scrying glass. Shadows swirled across the surface and there was nothing visible on the other side.

"Has Ciara gone? Can we call her back? I need to know if they have another large mirror that I could access at Rider's Keep. It doesn't have to be full size, just wide enough for my shoulders to get through, about this big," he added, outlining the size in the air with his hands.

Before Lucian could answer, Ciara's face appeared in the scrying glass. Her cheeks were flushed and her chest heaved as if she had been running.

"Mage Althor! Thank Rhillion thou are still there. It's Lio! He's just come home."

"And the Rider?"

Lucian had to ask, even though he could tell the answer from Ciara's expression. Her eyes were wide with dread.

"There's no sign of him at all. Lio came home alone."

(Author's Note: I plan to continue this story, but probably not until after the ONC2023, as my poor brain can only manage one story at a time! :))